Just playing a bit with FSDS

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Kevin's Gripen models are in that range for the 1st LOD so I'd say you are about there. Also just looking at your model, I see some places that if you really wanted to, you could probably save a few polys. That's another trial and error game that you will figure out when you start on the LOD process.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
max2202

Post by max2202 »

KevinJarvis wrote:
max2202 wrote: but I think a ladder and fire extinguisher is to much.
Not at all. While it may take some extra work, little things like that make it even more realistic..but that's just me.
But how do I model that, do I put the ladder somewhere in the fuselage or something. I guess it requires some xml coding. Maybe now is the time that I get a bit used to xml coding? If someone can give me a little howto on implementing a xml file into a model, and where to start, would be really great.
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Post by Weescotty »

MIKE JG wrote:Kevin's Gripen models are in that range for the 1st LOD so I'd say you are about there. Also just looking at your model, I see some places that if you really wanted to, you could probably save a few polys. That's another trial and error game that you will figure out when you start on the LOD process.
Also most peoples personal computers are now a lot more powerful than when the aardvark tutorial was written.

I use 9 LOD's myself.
Primarily because the MSFS tool for creating mip-maps for the textures automatically does 9 mip-maps.
1 LOD = 1 mip level.
max2202

Post by max2202 »

Firebird wrote:If you have got any pics of the MiG landing and it does so with the speed brake out then there is a little trick that Nick uses in xml.

If it doesn't keep that in mind for when you model a plane that does.

One area that I think does need to be altered slightly is the canopy. I think that their is slightly more frame than glass on the opening section, especially at the rear and also the canopy section is not one piece of glass as there is a bar down the middle. Its not easy to see, but if you have a look at page 38 of that pdf that I sent you the pic of the two seater shows it quite well as does the 3-view on page 64.
How is this for a canopy steve?

Image[/url]
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Its definitely better, max. I think it looks OK for the 'Bat.
I will take some time and do a proper compare tomorrow but it looks right at first glance.
Steve
max2202

Post by max2202 »

I was wondering if somebody wants to try to make a paint kit (paints) for this thing? I have tried it, but I must say that I suck in painting an making paint kits :P

It would be great if someone could try it.

Thanks.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

LOL, not at you of course, just laughing because you now realize what a pain in the arse doing the textures are. Welcome to the club. The best models look like crap without a good texture on them.

Mike Pearson, Graham King do a lot of the AI textures from scratch. Might try sending a PM to one of them.

Good textures really need a good texture map. If you feel like you've got your texture map where you want it to be, then that makes the texture artist's job much, much easier.

I would take you up on it but my plate is way too full at the moment.

BTW, check your PM's.
-Mike G.

max2202

Post by max2202 »

MIKE JG wrote:LOL, not at you of course, just laughing because you now realize what a pain in the arse doing the textures are. Welcome to the club. The best models look like crap without a good texture on them.

Mike Pearson, Graham King do a lot of the AI textures from scratch. Might try sending a PM to one of them.

Good textures really need a good texture map. If you feel like you've got your texture map where you want it to be, then that makes the texture artist's job much, much easier.

I would take you up on it but my plate is way too full at the moment.

BTW, check your PM's.
When I started the model, I knew that the painting would be a problem. After a couple of years in the IT business, you get to know yourself in what you can and can't do with computers, graphics (except modelling) is one of those things I just can't.

I will try and send them an PM

BTW check your PM :P
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

All the guys who do textures around here do a great job. You really can't go wrong if any one of them are able to help you out.
-Mike G.

MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Maxx, also you could try to contact Nick Black or Kevin Reed. They are prominent AI modelers who just happen to do their own textures as well. They have a lot of experience painting AI models that they have just created.
-Mike G.