NAS Oceana

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

NAS Oceana

Post by hawk_sh »

Here are some previews of a NAS Oceana scenery I started working on a few weeks ago.

I made a new AFCAD for Jim Dhaenens VUSN_KNTU scenery to make it work with the MAIW packages.

I am also doing flight plans for the Hornet squadrons.

Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

Very nice, wish my cpu could handle the traffic. Been waiting for something like this for a long time.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
flyerkg
Major
Major

Post by flyerkg »

This is a nice shot of the aggressors! I think as far as cpu workload is concerned. I should be alright if I load the whole package. I might have to cut some of the flight plans and pretend that a few of the squadrons are on deployment somewhere.
Keith
Steven Holzinger
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Steven Holzinger »

WOW! Really blows away my Oceana AFCAD!
Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Ford Friendly »

Definitely nice work there. I've not been able to do quite that well on my own attempt to accomplish the same thing.

Well done.
Why waste 'trons for a snappy signature when I can use this?
evvtsa
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by evvtsa »

That is one of the many things I like about the Topgun Package, the traffic files are separated into airwings and you can add and remove them like real world airwing deployments.
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

Wow, thats some quality work there Hawk well done sir. Nice to see my Tomcats populating their corner of Oceana.

I did actually paint all of Oceana's Tomcat fleet around the same era as for the MAIW Topgun package but we have not yet got around to releasing it yet...Keep your eyes peeled.

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Has it got a working meatball on the runways?
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
maddog65
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by maddog65 »

Are you putting in the hanger for the spec ops planes? It is off the taxiway between 23L and 32R.

Les
maddog65
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by maddog65 »

Here is a picture of the area. You will see a lot of GA type aircraft here.
C208 etc...

Les
Attachments
spec ops area.JPG
spec ops area.JPG (17.18 KiB) Viewed 2574 times
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

VulcanDriver wrote:Has it got a working meatball on the runways?
Yes it does by using Jim's original NTU scenery, it's not pretty but works and I like the change in LOD when you get in close. Now if I can get one added out at NOLF Fentress...
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by hawk_sh »

Thanks for the feedback guys,

It seems I am not the only one interested in this master jet base.

Well, I started this little project to create a playground for the IRIS F-14 and the VRS Superhornet I treated myself for Christmas.
I had Jim Dhaenens scenery installed but when the Tomcat Sunset Package came out I skipped it because both did not work together. I also missed Hornets flying around in my FS world. I messed around with AFCAD (merging available freeware sceneries with MAIW packages) and also created some flight plans in the last months when I luckily found Graham King's Hornet repaints. Now I had most ingredients to create my own US Navy FS world.

Regarding the cpu load I want to say the following:
My goal is to be able to fly the VRS Superhornet in this scenery. So I try to make the traffic customizable. Each squadron will have its own traffic file. So you can send some of them on deployment to reduce the number of aircrafts on the ramp. I am also considering to use the traffic percentage option so that you can adapt the traffic density in the sim.

For the screenshots above I just flooded the parking spots with aircraft to test the parking codes and the alignment.

The idea behind the project is as follows:

I wanted to have Tomcats, Hornets and Superhornets around. I did some tests with the light version of the Team FS/KBT's F/A-18E , but the FPS impact on my system was to much.

So for now there will be "only" Tomcats and Legacy Hornets.

I am trying to create the following (fictional) traffic scenario:

VF-31 and VF-213 F-14Ds (from the Tomcat Sunset package) before their final Tomcat deployment plus VFA-15 and VFA-87 (12 F-18s each) to depict CVW-8
each aircraft will fly at least once a day including a lot of Touch and Go's at KNFE and KECG

Since I wanted some more F-14s I added two additional Tomcat squadrons. One is VF-211 (using the repaint of the Top Gun package) and the flight plans for VF-213 that came with the Tomcat Sunset package.
The second additional squadron should depict VF-101. Since there is no repaint (yet?) they fly with an all grey skin without markings (taken from the paint kit).

VFC-12: 10 to 12 aircraft, some of their flights coordinated with CVW-8

VFA-106: 20 to 30 aircraft with weekly flight plans

For the remaining squadrons I plan limited operations (at the moment). Their main purpose will be to fill the ramp.

I am open for suggestions for possible destinations for their flight plans.

Plus there will be traffic from all the other MAIW packages that use Oceana (I have seen C-130s, DC-9s, T-34, A-10, F-15s, Harriers so far)

Now to answer some of your questions:

Jim Dhaenens scenery has got working meatballs on runways 05L, 14L, 23L and 32L.
As mentioned by Victory103 they have several levels of detail.

Les, do you have visionary skills ? I just added the hangar plus some other details last night.

I am also thinking about adding the major roads around the base
(Oceana Blvd, Dam Neck Road) and on the base itself.

On the right there is the Long Range Radar Complex by Brett Delana (qvr_lrr.zip on AVSIM)

PS: A working meatball at Fentress would be really cool...
maddog65
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by maddog65 »

I wish I had visionary skills :lol: maybe then I could pick the right numbers in the lotto. I don't know how crazy you want to get....
Naval Aviation Historical Park
Attachments
Naval Aviation Historical Park.JPG
Naval Aviation Historical Park.JPG (21.67 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by hawk_sh »

Well, I did not have that in mind, but maybe that single Tomcat that is on display between the radar complex and Oceana Blvd.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Is that the version that has those bloomin' gas pumps in the way on the taxiway turnings?
Steve
hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by hawk_sh »

The gas pumps are all next to the taxiways.

This is not the AFCAD I posted a few weeks ago. I completely reworked it.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

hawk sh,
You use some of the AFCAD waypoints from other MAIW packages to get the jets out to the VACAPES and other warning areas, and of course NFE should be busy weekdays. I have not seen any scenery objects for "hot" refuel pits, which would be the ones on the taxiways next to runway 5R.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

hawk_sh wrote:The gas pumps are all next to the taxiways.
The airfield chart has them marked as fuel pits.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
maddog65
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by maddog65 »

In Jim's original scenery the fuel pits along 5R use the FS9 default gas stations while over on the other side by 32 they are correct. At least that is the way it is on my system.

Les
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Same here, Les. Spoils the effect.
John