Who Remember's These

Let's see em! Please use a third party image hoster such as photobucket.com or postimage.org and copy the link to the screenshot here between image tags.
Bell 209
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by Bell 209 »

The engines are mapped face-on near the top left corner of the bmp (there's a vacant spot there currently).
lewis
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Post by lewis »

Oh, OK. found the spot. Will start placing the intakes textures soon. I now can populate Navy bases with the SH-3 and also the carriers. Will post screenies when textures are complete.
Most thankfull for your help. Lewis
Bell 209
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Bell 209 »

Pleasure. Nice to give back after taking for years!
lewis
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by lewis »

Thanks Rob. Here it is with the final textures.
Bell 209
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Bell 209 »

Hmm, still don't like it! I need to fix the alpha texture for the tail rotor to make it five blades in lieu of six and increase the tail rotor blade chords.
lewis
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by lewis »

Any corrections done by you are welcome. I will be on the lookout for the corrected mdl's. One little detail that I guess could be added, is the bubble window at the rear of the fuselage just like the one on the HAR3 model. I did place a texture for it, so if it is added, that would nicelly complete the Seaking. Lewis
Bell 209
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Bell 209 »

Okay, try this.
Attachments
AI_SH-3D_Bulged_windows.zip
(233.87 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
lewis
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by lewis »

I guess this thread has been converted to a Seaking one. Ok, here it is with the last mdl you uploaded. I did notice one little detail with the rotor blades, main is turning clockwise, I know I am being pesky, but could you have them rotate counter clockwise. You will notice the blades are turning backwards when they are shuting down. They should rotate towards the leading edge. Also the tail rotor should turn the other way. Just my 10 cents worth trying to help make a great AI model into a greater one. Other than those small details, this Bad Boy is looking GOOD.
Some screenies with the latest mdl.
lewis
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by lewis »

A couple more.
Bell 209
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Bell 209 »

You can change that yourself: just change the prop animation figure to the opposite direction in the "fltsim.X entry of the aircraft.cfg.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Nice work you guys (both of you!) :wink:
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
lewis
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by lewis »

Thanks Mike. Thanks Rob. I always thought that the direction of the rotors movement was part of the mdl file. Today is a great day to learn something new. Thanks again Rob, I believe this model is finally ready. I have been asked if I plan to release the HH-3, but for that, I would need your approval and Mike MacIntyre's since it's his ".air" file to be able to go public. Of course, it will have the credits to you as the developer and Mike for the "FDE". I will only "claim" the textures.
It would go like this:
// RNAI HH-3 Sea King v5.1 by Rob Nieuwenhoven. FDE by Mike MacIntyre - 7-7-2008
//
// This AI Helicopter FDE provides turbine engine power and sound with shorter AI helicopter takeoff rolls, faster final approach speeds and spot // landings.
//
// Based off AI Helicopter configuration files by Rob Nieuwenhoven (rjnieuwe@optusnet.com.au) derived from the original work of Holger
// Sandmann (hsandman@sfu.ca), Doug Callihan and the Stemme motor glider aircraft.cfg file by Al Kaiser, kaiser@va-works.com or
// http://www.va-works.com/.
//
// !!!Copyright remains with the original authors!!!

Unless MAIW could use it for a package, I would be very pleased to also give something back. Lewis
Bell 209
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Bell 209 »

Sounds good to me. Please also credit Chris Jones and Mal Lloyd in the readme and html file, as Chris played a big part in the original Westland Sea Kings and Mal did the paintkit.
lewis
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by lewis »

Ok. The aircraft config file would then start like this:

// RNAI HH-3 Sea King v5.1 by Rob Nieuwenhoven, Chris Jones and Mal Lloyd. FDE by Mike MacIntyre - 7-7-2008
//
// This AI Helicopter FDE provides turbine engine power and sound with shorter AI helicopter takeoff rolls, faster final approach speeds and spot // landings.
//
// Based off AI Helicopter configuration files by Rob Nieuwenhoven (rjnieuwe@optusnet.com.au) derived from the original work of Holger
// Sandmann (hsandman@sfu.ca), Doug Callihan and the Stemme motor glider aircraft.cfg file by Al Kaiser, kaiser@va-works.com or
// http://www.va-works.com/.
//
// !!!Copyright remains with the original authors!!!

Also the readme and html file, would have all three of the developers credited, with the FDE credited to Mike. I will only be in for the new textures.
Sure wish that MAIW could use this model in a package, since it has developed into a great model, and it has been a very popular Navy and other branches of the military aircraft. Lewis
Bell 209
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Bell 209 »

Yep, looks good to me. I have the original paintkit in psd format, if you want it?
lewis
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by lewis »

Sure, that would be great. I am completing a small package for Elizabeth City CG to be used with Joe Bowers "kecg_ecgas_v1.zip" found at AVSIM.
I will include 4 HH-3 helos and a flight plan for them. Been a little busy in other proyects latelly and was not able to complete the pack. Lewis
crashtruckchuck
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by crashtruckchuck »

These models and screen shots are awesome. By the way, does anybody know if there is an HH-3 model out there? While the SH-3 is a good fill, I'm looking for a Jolly Green or even a Coast Guard Pelican model to fill up my retro scenery. Any help would be great. Thanks.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

There was a HH-3 project going on over at hovercontrol.com for FS9. The developer has some great projects, but they never tend make it to the completion stage.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Bell 209
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Bell 209 »

I can probably mod the Sea King to suit but as I have a lot on at the moment, it won't get done anytime soon. If one of the MAIW developers wants the GMax source file to do this, I'd be happy to hand it over.
Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joecoastie »

Those H-3's look pretty good. Here's a side shot of mine in 1965. Note there's no window in the rear curved portion of the fuselage. The yellow bags in the back were flotation collars for Gemini 3. I'll dig through my old slides for more pics.
Attachments
HS-3 #57 on board USS Intrepid - 3/65.
HS-3 #57 on board USS Intrepid - 3/65.
Scan133a.jpg (235.66 KiB) Viewed 575 times
HS-7 #550 on board USS Wasp - 9/70
HS-7 #550 on board USS Wasp - 9/70
Scan194a.jpg (242.44 KiB) Viewed 575 times
Service to my Country 9/61 - 2/03
US Navy - HS-3, VX-1, HS-7 (USS Intrepid, USS Wasp, USS Yorktown)
Va National Guard - 229th Cbt Avn Co
US Coast Guard - E City CGAS, CGC Morro Bay, RTC Yorktown
NOAA - Co-op Observer 1983 - present