Installing MAIW packages in FSX

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
mbscjohnp
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by mbscjohnp »

I really feel so stupid! And I considered myself a good programmer.
I was reading the excellent Installation Guide and got to the point about downloading the Registry Path Utility (of course AVSim is still down - panic) and I couldn't find it anywhere, but made a registry entry by hand (smart huh?). While I was on the net looking for the "Utility", I thought I might as well download the "WOAI Installer" (AVSim is down) and did not bother to read that sentence completely about "the first 25 packages", but jumped ahead and started to look for the WOAI Installer on the net.
For two days I tried using the WOAI installer, getting error messages, and then posting my frustration on this site only to read the sentence again after y'all convinced me that my package has its own installer.
I hang my head in shame and chalk it all up to being old (ancient at least). As soon as I followed the instructions <grin> I installed and transferred my lovely package into FSX, cheated again and saw my two lovely helos in their parking spots at KCLT (where they don't really belong). As I am now an "expert", I will offer the advice I used to give as a tech: "RTFM" (Read the freakin' manual.) Sorry for causing y'all fits.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Its no big deal. We all do it at times, and to varying degrees.
Steve
SJCarline
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by SJCarline »

ok so I installed the topgun package using the installing maiw into fsx the airport is missing the yellow lines, there's never more than one aircraft on the ground none in the air and none of the parking spots are available for me to spawn into the only thing i can think of is i got this error (see below) when converting the flight plans and I cannot add anything to the scenery library from within FSX.

The following airport(s): MA10, MA11, MA13, MA31, MAI5, MAI6, MAI7, MAI8, MAI9, W10M, W1M, W4M and W7M are not in "AirportList.dat". The positional information from the decompiled FS9 traffic file has been used.

***Edit*** Well I did something right there was like 6 of them in the air after installing My traffic X however there still arnt any parking spots at the airport nor are there any parked there.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Which airport are you looking at?
If it is Miramar, there are literally hundreds of parking spots there. Have you activated the scenery for Miramar? It sounds like you are only seeing the default afcad.
If you use afcad or AFX how many versions of KNKX show up in the tool, there should only be 2, the default and the MAIW afcad.

The My TrafficX might be a red herring, that might install its own traffic it will not alter ours. At worst it might double up on it.

The other afcads are our made up waypoints, you won't find them in the AirportList.dat, you have to add them yourself.
Steve
SJCarline
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by SJCarline »

ok here's an interesting hiccup, I cannot select a .bgl from within the senery folder for mirarmar if i want to choose one of them i have to manually type in the file path, then it will give me an error about like "invalid remote scenery path in scenery area." and the number will change depending on which one i choose but they are all in the hundred teens eg. 115,113,112 ect. Keep in mind that i cannot select an area from within FSX as it showes nothing i have to type it in. After this I am seriously thinking about maybe even today going and buying FS2004.
32 MAIW packages in use with FSX ;)

Windows XP
intel core duo @2ghz
2gb ddr2 ram
geforce 9400gt 512mb
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

If you adding the scenery you add the path to the directory in which the scenery and texture folders are contained, or am I reading this wrong.

For example if the directory is called MAIW Miramar TOPGUN, and it contains the two folders mentioned earlier then 'MAIW Miramar TOPGUN is what you select to activate the scenery, unless FSX is totally different to FS9.

If it won't allow you to add a scenery, then I think that you have an FSX problem there.
One last question do you use XP or Vista?
Steve
SJCarline
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by SJCarline »

Um yeah it SHOULD add a folder or directory as a scenery however its not working that way and its funny you should ask about my operating system I just today made a separate partition and installed XP to see if its windows7\Vista Security giving me the issue. reguardless FS2004 is only like 20 bucks, cheaper if i get it online. I havn't finished installing FSX yet to see if the OS was the issue I'll let ya know if it was. what I was saying about typing in the entire path for the scenery is i actually had to type out C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery\Maiw\scenery\MAIW Miramar NAS\Scenery..and then one of the .bgl's like i actually had to chose one not a folder :(

Windows XP
intel core duo @2ghz
2gb ddr2 ram
geforce 9400gt 512mb
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well if it is not allowing you to select and add 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery\Maiw\scenery\MAIW Miramar NAS' then there is a problem with your FSX installation.

The only other thing that I can think of is that you haven't installed the package manually, i.e. unzipped it to a temp folder and copied everything over manually as the Owl's Nest guide says.
If it is the case that this is what you are doing you do have an FSX/OS problem.
Steve
SJCarline
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by SJCarline »

no I am following the instalation instructions with the false fs9 folders and whatnot once i switched to XP i am able to select the folder MAIW Miramar but it adds 5 different things

1.)Miramar MCAS ,
2.)Miramar MCAS mitscher--24L Practice carrier deck
3.)Miramar MCAS mitscher- mav's ride
4.)Miramar MCAS mitscher- rwy 6L/24R Low Approach
5.)Miramar MCAS mitscher- rwy 6R/24L Low Approach

I have my parking spots back for the airport but no aircraft and no buildings

Now I was running vista then i switched to windows 7 and I JUST started playing FSX again so now i know Windows 7 does not like FSX lol

Windows XP
intel core duo @2ghz
2gb ddr2 ram
geforce 9400gt 512mb
SJCarline
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by SJCarline »

HAHA Almost got it fixed up, Remember a few posts back i mentioned an error about the airports not being in the airportlist.dat when converting flight plans. Well I opened AIPF and went to OPEN instead of Convert and opened the most basic bgl from within the world/scenery under my fake fs9 folder for miramar. When i opened it it asked me if i wanted to add the airport at this point i was just grasping at straws mind you i had no idea this would work so i went ahead and added the airport by typing in knkx and clicking open and then apply and than save to airportlist.dat and ALL of the F-14's showed up, theres still 5 entrys for miramar for some reason but i dont care cause it works!!!! yay

Windows XP
intel core duo @2ghz
2gb ddr2 ram
geforce 9400gt 512mb
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

There are 5 entries for Miramar due to the flypast that Mike Mac has set up in the package. Mavericks bike ride, tribute to the film and the Carrier practise landing area.

I am glad that you got it working. So can you confirm that running under XP it works in FSX, under Windows 7 it doesn't work. Also can you confirm that you never got to try it under Vista.

All useful info for other people down the line.
Steve
SJCarline
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by SJCarline »

Um I never tried the topgun or tomcat sunset under vista but i got 35 others to work under vista, Under windows 7 I couldn't get any of them to work but it is still a beta and needs alot of work with gaming compatibility (i had a few games that just refused to work period under windows 7 that worked in windows vista) and the only way I could get the topgun package to work was to open Traffic_MAIW_TOPGUN_KNKX.bgl before converting and adding the airport knkx to the airportlist.dat via the tool AI Flight Planner and fo coarse following the rest of the tutorial on theowlsnest.com on the front page.

Windows XP
intel core duo @2ghz
2gb ddr2 ram
geforce 9400gt 512mb
TheAaron.com
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by TheAaron.com »

I notice that 'Edit Voicepack' has a fourth beta release (version 4.0.6) ready for FSX, now i know these are only Beta Version but is it safe and do they work on the MAIW packages in FSX?

Beta Version found here:

http://www.fsonline.dk/en/index.php?tit ... imulator_X

Aaron
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

You should be able to import EVP 3.1 voicepacks in this new beta, so why don't you just try it and let us know what you find out...

Greg
TheAaron.com
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by TheAaron.com »

Tirithon wrote:You should be able to import EVP 3.1 voicepacks in this new beta, so why don't you just try it and let us know what you find out...

Greg
Ok will do i just wanted to make sure it didnt mess anything up before having a crack at it :wink:

Thanks, will report back!
TheAaron.com
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by TheAaron.com »

Just tested,

Edit voicepack in the link above does indeed work and reads callsigns all well, also adds some more readings and deletes the not needed ones e.g. turn next taxiway.

All well.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Thanks Aaron. That's a step forward for the FSX lovers!

I might actually go and find out on what dusty shelf I left my copy :wink:

Greg
TheAaron.com
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by TheAaron.com »

No problem,

no problems spotted yet, but i ask if anyone does spot any could they post them for the rest of us?

I did see one funny readout:

"Bosox 8 contact lakenheath departure on 128.7 ."

"Over to 128.7, Bosox 8 . Bye bye"

:lol:
honanhal
Cadet
Cadet

Problem with conversion of flight plans to FSX?

Post by honanhal »

Hi all,

I carefully followed Martin's guide, but to my immense frustration none of the traffic showed up. After much trial and error I realized that by using the FS9 flight plans rather than the FSX ones I converted in AI Flight Planner and keeping everything else constant, the planes would show up (though obviously with the problems that necessitate converting the flight plans in the first place). While I'm glad I narrowed down the problem, this is still frustrating. I can't see any obvious problems with the FSX traffic files that would cause traffic not to show up--in fact, they seem nearly identical to the FS9 files to my eye. Any clue on what could be going wrong?

Thanks so much for your help.

Best,
James
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Post by gsnde »

James,

Can it be that you have other FS9 compatible flight plans installed which are preventing the FSX plans to work?
Cheers,
Martin