AI UH-60 and OH-58

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
dinovandoorn

AI UH-60 and OH-58

Post by dinovandoorn »

I was looking at the details of the AFCAD of Simmons AAF wich is a real nice package, and then i noticed a lot of extra parking spots for Blackhawks and Kiowa's.
Is there any MAIW development on these birds where we are not informed about yet ?? :D
I hope i am right and looking forward to these birds..

Dino
Last edited by dinovandoorn on 20 Jan 2009, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

None at all.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Dino we do that so that IF those models become available one day, the afcads that those aircraft might make use of, are already set up to make use of them. It's nothing more than that.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
JGaz-UK
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

OH58 lack of

Post by JGaz-UK »

I just installed the AAc Simmons Maiw Addon & noticed the empty slots, so went looking for OH58 AIs. Also with no luck.

So I just had a go at adapting two of my Pay whare “Abacus Military Helicopters” OH58 Kiowa’s I’ve used the Apache & Gazelle from the same package as AI before no problem.

But this time when the Kiowas get take off permission, they just shuffle down the runway! At about 5mph :? some bug somewhere Airport runway maybe? But they make a difference to the Addon with parking both sides of the airport ( see jpg) if I can debug the dam thing Ill let you know.

Edit They Fly! :D
Attachments
OH58s.JPG
OH58s.JPG (42.47 KiB) Viewed 840 times
Last edited by JGaz-UK on 28 Jul 2009, 18:58, edited 3 times in total.
JGaz-UK
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

OH58 lack of

Post by JGaz-UK »

Success They Fly! :lol:

The OH58 works as AI but far from perfect slides along on their skids & take a 100m to take off . still it’ll do to flesh out the South side of the KFBG Fort Brag/Simmons Addon until a better MAIW version comes along.

If there is any one who has the “Abacus Military Helicopters” Payware who might want to use it as AI you could let me know. I don’t know if its possible to add a zip file to this Topic for downloading? Is it?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

You can add a zip to a post, but the size is quite small.
If you click on the add an attachment button when creating a post and then preview your post before submitting it or not you will see whether it is small enough.
Steve
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

Which airfile did you use? There is also a basic OH-58D (non-AI) on Hovercontrol as well or you can find an Army repaint for the stock B206 to sim OH-58A/C's.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
JGaz-UK
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by JGaz-UK »

Thanks Steve & same Dustoff. :)

Ive found an Airfile that works with Helo skids Dust

And should any one get in touch Ill have ago at attaching file Steve.

I do have a question re: MAIW aircraft files. I was wondering if it is really necessary to have so many textures for each aircraft model, especially say dark green i.e. CH47 & AH1s. As you have to be very close to read the tail numbers. Surely it must be a lot easier on the frame rate to have a single texture & just different numbers in the flight plans? :?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

An interesting question and it did cause some debates in the early days. The first package, Osan, did not have many schemes at all.

Some people found that as the drive towards accuracy increased it inevitably lead towards individual schemes. They was a discussion about creating two packages, one with individual schemes and one with simplified schemes. It was decided in the end that an individual could always simplify it themselves.

Once we went to individual schemes the only package that we have released that has not 100% covered that was the Top Gun package. It was decided that just sheer volume of schemes would slow down the base to a crawl.

The bottom line is that most people want more accuracy rather than smaller, leaner packages.
Steve
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

Re individual schemes:

A real turnoff for me is a 4-ship formation of combat planes with 4 times the same aircraft... That is one of the main reasons I don't mind individual paint schemes for military AI aircraft. Combat aircraft are small so there's a bigger chance you'll see multiple military aircraft in the same shot and close enough to actually read the numbers.

As civilian airliners don't tend to fly in formation and you look from further away due to the size anyway, it is much less noticable if only one texture is used for a whole fleet.

Greg
JGaz-UK
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by JGaz-UK »

Thanks for that.

I’m running a 5 year old PC, good in its day but struggling now, I’ll have to upgrade. In the mean time I’ll have edit & slim down a few textures.

I have found though that Nick Black’s files don’t like to be altered! Aircraft types disappear or the sim crashes even?
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

JGaz-UK wrote:I have found though that Nick Black’s files don’t like to be altered! Aircraft types disappear or the sim crashes even?
What file(s) do you mean exactly?

Greg
JGaz-UK
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by JGaz-UK »

I had a go at changing Nick’s files for the AH1 Apache (the Config & air files) for use with the OH58 I was converting to AI, The sim kept crashing when I tried to use it. Had to delete & use others. (Nick’s air file seems specific to model.) No probs. :)

Q.4 U
Is there a texture download on MIAW? I seem to be missing a few at Seymour Johnson AFB, I didn’t have version 1 ?

PS 4 ship formation? Do you mean multiplay or AI?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I can't see how changing air files and config files would force FS9 to crash. I have never known that.
Scenery errors will cause it to crash. Badly done effects will cause it to crash when FS9 has loaded. When does it crash, what % if loading and what error message do you get in the Event Viewer.

You can get individual machines to crash or disappear through the floor if you don't get the FDE correct.

If FS9 crashes on loading the sim I would check the scenery that you are trying to load first.

Yes, I think Greg means AI and if you have a query about S-J then the S-J package support thread is the place to read and ask about that.
Steve
JGaz-UK
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by JGaz-UK »

It was after loading Traffic at KFBG where the modified AI’s were that the game, sorry Sim, crashed back to windows.
My FS9 is bursting at the seems with Addons & can be a bit temperamental these days, I’m used to it :roll: . Plus I’m always changing things around. See JPG of KNKX a altered MAIW download.

I didn’t know it was possible to create 4 ship AI flights, pairs yes are there any flight plans with 4s in formation?

Firebird,
Q.
Is it possible i.e. would it work if I had one single MIAW folder with all its scenery/Textures in the FS9 Addon scenery folder together. (To save duplication of textures or less missing ones? )Or would there be problems???
Attachments
KNKX.JPG
KNKX.JPG (158.36 KiB) Viewed 643 times
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK lets answer your question first.
In theory yes you can do what you propose, in fact I do something similar for simple mods to default sceneries but have separate folders for full blown sceneries like that that John/Ian/Mike do.

There are two potential problems, one is if there are two different textures with the same name. Not likely but I have had that. The biggest problem is likely to be if you want to remove/replace a scenery. How are you going to know that you have got all of the bgls? Also you won't know what textures you can remove so you will get a build up there.

You may say its unlikely, but how would you know which were Seymour Johnson files to remove before upgrading to the v2 package? I would suggest that your combined folder be used sparingly and only where there are two or three bgls on their own. This would least problematical in the future.

Now to your problem.
At KFBG firstly try and load it at night, do you get the same crash? Now try a different season or two. If any of those do not produce a crash then you have got a daylight texture problem there. I should mention that if you still get a crash everytime then it might be a texture that is used during day and night.
It might even be a non-dxt3 texture on an aircraft. Quite often this happens when people convert flyable to Ai aircraft with 32 bit textures.

Now the next thing is how long after loading does it crash? Does it vary according to the time of day? If the answer is that it varies then it is most probably an effect that you have attached to an aircraft that is not designed for AI aircraft. Normally though you would get a C++ runtime error on the screen.
Please take into account that the problem may not be at KFBG. If its AI effect problem, it will caused when the AI is spawn anywhere inside the area. which could be up to 100nm away. If its an aircraft texture it would happen when an aircraft comes within rendering range of 10nm.

You haven't given any diags from the crash so I am assuming that its texture related. You have to eliminate various things, one at a time, to find out the cause. People maybe able to help if we have diags, but I am afraid that a location on its own is not enough info.

I hope that I have explained it clear enough.
Steve
JGaz-UK
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by JGaz-UK »

More than clear :idea: .

I only had the crash when I tried to use the edited Apache air & config files for a different Helo AI ( Nick’s had the best take off for an AI helicopter I’ve seen!) I undid the mod & no probs since. :D

Texture wise I suppose I place as much importance in the appearance of a base as in aircraft textures, so missing textures niggle a bit :x .

Wish List; It would be nice if there were a few vehicles & personnel around in the some of the downloads or am I alone in that? (I'm not complaining honest MAIW get top marks from me! )

thanks for your time.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

If you were trying to get the same take off effect I am afraid that you can't, it's built into the model.

When you modified the cfg file did you alter any effects, or did you leave the panel in of the model?

How long after the base loaded did it crash? Was in instantaneously or did it vary?
Steve
JGaz-UK
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by JGaz-UK »

Firebird wrote:If you were trying to get the same take off effect I am afraid that you can't, it's built into the model.

When you modified the cfg file did you alter any effects, or did you leave the panel in of the model?

How long after the base loaded did it crash? Was in instantaneously or did it vary?

The instant the base & AI appeared. But don’t worry about it, no probs now. Thanks for your interest. Gaz