Textures and LOD

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
N35W
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Textures and LOD

Post by N35W »

When do you guys apply your texures?

Do you texture each part as you build it, or do finnish the whole model then apply textures?

Do you do your poly reduction with textures applied, or apply textures after reduction?

Thanks
Jeff
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Jeff most guys will finish the model first and then make a texture map to apply textures. Usually some reworking of the various parts is in order to get the textures to apply correctly.

Then as you work down through the LODs you sometimes have to redefine the texture mapping for a given part to get it to look right.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
N35W
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by N35W »

Thank's Mike.

I'm getting jumpy. I need to build my first aircraft so I can get a rythm up.

I have been trying to get as much data as I can on the Blackhawk. I think this will be my first aircraft.
Jeff
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

I have been trying to get as much data as I can on the Blackhawk. I think this will be my first aircraft.
I truly wish you luck :) I would love to have an AI Blackhawk.

However, I would recommend starting with something that has a simpler shape and flies like an airplane. There are a lot of places in a helo that you can get tripped up. You may be the kind of person who enjoys the ultimate challenge, though!

If I were to recommend the type of aircraft to start with, I'd say a jet (no props to deal with), one that has one intake (preferably in the nose), and has straight wings. There are plenty of challenges there. (cockpit/canopy, landing gear, etc)

Whatever you do, just know that there are people here that will be glad to help. Keep us informed and as for the Blackhawk: go for it! :D
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

T-2C Buckeye would be cool.... Oh wait, we don't make "requests" around here, LOL.
-Mike G.

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Yeah if we did I might ask for the F-104. :smt084
Steve
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by petebramley »

is this a bandwaggon to be jumped on :D

Buff

Pete
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
N35W
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by N35W »

Awh come on, A F104, that just a stinger missle. :)

Ok you guys, your starting a fire. This is one time offer. Vote for what you want me to to build as my first aircrat. The highest vote wins!

The catch is, you have to provide the blue prints and details.
Jeff
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

You really don't want to go down that road.
-Mike G.

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

*hehe* Mike is right, Jeff. If you ask for requests you will never hear the end of it.

Plus having worked with modelers for some time I would offer one very crucial piece of advice. Model want you want to do, not what somebody else wants.
The main reason for this is that you are just starting out. It will be hard at times. you will have to force yourself to finish the project. If you don't finish the first one you will never do any others. Therefore the best chance of finishing is if YOU want the model. It will get easier as you gain experience and you can take more input from others on subject matter, but the same premise holds true. You must want to finish it.

Also don't over do it and choose something complicated, shape wise, for the first time. The F-104 might seem too easy but it will have hard sections, blending the intakes into the body, and the undercarriage.
Also if you build a single-seater and there is a two seater, plan how you would alter the model to that version from the start. It sounds daft but it may change how you build it. I remember Nick had quite a torrid time doing his two seat Jaguar. Now he plans for such things from the start.

There is help here for bits an pieces on such things as xml coding, painting and FDE so you won't be alone.

You have one other advantage with something like the F-104, nobody has done one yet so you aren't constantly comparing your work to others.

As for drawings you can find them in various places, here is one that people here use http://richard.ferriere.free.fr/3vues/3vues.html.
Steve
N35W
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by N35W »

Ok Mike and Steve,

I'm going to listen to you Guys. The one time request is canceled.

I'm sticking with the UH-60. I want that for myself really bad.

Looking for some last minute pics for help and I'm starting to build today.

This is going to be hard. Hopefully I won't run into bad complications.

Thanks Guys.
Jeff