How well MAIW aircraft work in FSX

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team
Version: P3D

How well MAIW aircraft work in FSX

Post by tango234 »

I just put this here just in case anyone out there finds it useful in any way. I am fully aware that MAIW packages are designed only for FS2004 and I don't want to sound like I'm complaining about that fact. Like I said I just hope this info is useful to people.

The only real problems with the fixed wing models are the cockpit canopies (I don't consider the props a problem)

The hawk , harrier and eurofighter work the best in FSX-cockpit shows up properly except that clouds and autogen turn invisible when you look through the glass, but this is hardly worth mentioning.
The Apache rotors do not show up in flight, but do when the helicopter is parked.

The F16 and PC9 cockpits are black (as you can see with my Hawks post in the screenshot section in the case of the pc9)

The cockpit of the Tornado is usually opaque grey though sometimes on the ground you can see through it (again you can see this in the Hawks post) To a much lesser extent you get the same problem with the A10.

On a happier note, there is no problem at all with the larger aircraft simply because they don't have canopies as such, only windscreens and so you don't notice as much. Likewise there is no problem with planes where the glass is part of the repaint rather than the model.

Lastly, there are quite a few aircraft which the cockpit glass does not show up at all when the texture has fully loaded up, examples being the F15, Tomcat, jaguar (I think, I need to visit Coningsby again to check), the raptor, the gripen and (also I think) the U2. I think there may be more of these but I have not yet checked in full.

If you wish to see screenshots of the problems by all means ask and I will be happy to oblige. Same goes if you wish me to look at all the planes.

My upmost apologies if this is seen as rude and uncalled for, but I merely wished to make it known. If you wish to give me the stick for it by all means go ahead. Please do not take this as a list of complaints, it is merely a list of things that do not work quite as they should. One more apology, sorry this post is so blasted long!!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

I personally don't take umbrage if a post is well thought out and makes a point without resorting to being a rant. Politeness goes a long way.

From my point of view there are two main issues here. The models and FSX itself.

Now some of the models we have permission to use but are not designed in house and so we can't control them, e.g. F-16, PC-9 and Tornado. There are also problems with models designed in house. The problem for us is that none of the staff have FSX installed and we build for what we have installed. So there is a limitation there.

On the subject of FSX I am aware of various issues with models and side-effects with almost each release of subsequent service packs that catch out FSX users that then have to find fixes for them. On the Tornado at the very least, I understand that somebody has identified and applied a fix for FSX. I believe it necessitates altering the alpha for each scheme. What exactly is involved, I am not sure.
I feel sure that the same solution may form the basis for other models as well. From what I understand, it isn't a necessarily a model issue, although all of our ones are FSDS produced so it may contribute here, it seems to a combination of textures/material in the model and alpha layers in paint schemes.

I feel sure that if there are fixes available for the ones you have mentioned fellow FSX users will append details to this thread to help you out.
However, as you quite rightly point out that we build packages, currently, for FS9 so textures and their alpha layers are going to be set for FS9 users. If we are aware of a way that ensures compatibility without compromising FS9 users then I think that we could probably provide it, albeit untested.

As FSX and FS9 have one thing in common, they are both no longer being developed, my personal opinion is that FSX and its various updates and their problems have partly contributed to its less than 100% take up by FS9 users.

Hopefully this addresses your point and stimulates solutions to your issues.
Steve
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

For props/rotors -
Transparency was changed in FSX.
Try inverting the alpha channel on the props bitmap.

Other issue -
Always thought that it was a problem with FSX that had been sorted in SP2 but re-appears in the acceleration pack?
I seem to remember issues with FSX and things going invisible behind transparent objects the day it was released.
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

@Weescotty, I shall bear the props/rotors advice in mind though (edit-other problem)I have FSX SP2 installed so these are the problems I get with that

@Firebird, Thank you for your response. I will look into finding fixes for these problems and post them if and when I find them. I'm sure other FSX users will as well Thanks again,
Tango234
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

Oh, and I will look into the tornado as a priority. Could you just tell me who made it?
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

tango234 wrote:Oh, and I will look into the tornado as a priority. Could you just tell me who made it?
Fernando Martinez I believe.
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

Right, Thanks
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

Fernando has been MIA for a very long time. You won't find him, I'm afraid.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

He's hiding in the same place as Henry Tomkiewicz.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

I know, I going to try to to find the fix as opposed to the maker-I read the where are they now forum.
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

Could I ask which picture editor you open maiw textures with? I can't do it with gimp annoyingly
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

You need imagetool.
Available in the FS2004 Terrain SDK.
( http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/downlo ... =cat&id=10 )
Using that you can invert alpha channels without converting formats.

To open the texture in Gimp you will first need to use imagetool to convert the texture to either a 32 bit bitmap or targa (if alpha channel).
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

Post by CelticWarrior »

tango, have you got FSX SP2 installed? ISTR that SP2 solved the problems of opaque canopies.
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

@Weescotty Thank you for that

@Celtic Warrior, I remember installing SP2 and obviously the problem is still there, but I can't work out whether I actually have installed it or not. I need to check that.
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

Loading up FSX to check results of my work, will report asap
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

Simply inverting the alpha didn't seem to work, am trying to reinstall SP2 and see what that does.
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

reinstalling SP2 solved the problem of the glass actually showing up, but I am still trying to work out what the problem with the tornado is, Sp2 just made it look weirder!
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

I have made a tool that can be downloaded from my web site which corrects the prop textures for most aircraft.

And yes, I remember that the canopy of the Tornado is on the yellow-brownish site of things and has some see-through issues depending on the angle you look at it (same as with a Mirage 2000 model).

Maybe you want to check the prop texture replacement tool.
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

Yeah, I've used the tool, it worked brilliantly-Thanks!!! No idea how to fix the tornado though am still trying with no luck-pity, it's a great model I suppose in the end I will just have to live with it. Oh, one more thing about your MAIW FSX install guide, I have just tried to download and open it and it doesn't work-corrupted in some way. This may well be a problem with my machine but I thought you ought to know. Also, if you have not already done so it may be a good idea to advise to install SP2-just a thought. Thanks again for the prop tool :)
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

tango234 wrote:Yeah, I've used the tool, it worked brilliantly-Thanks!!! No idea how to fix the tornado though am still trying with no luck-pity, it's a great model I suppose in the end I will just have to live with it. Oh, one more thing about your MAIW FSX install guide, I have just tried to download and open it and it doesn't work-corrupted in some way. This may well be a problem with my machine but I thought you ought to know. Also, if you have not already done so it may be a good idea to advise to install SP2-just a thought. Thanks again for the prop tool :)
I owe you a drink :wink:

Thank you, Tango. Not only the FSX Installation Guide but all downloads were coming down corrupt. My fault, by the way. I doctored with the Download Manager until it fitted the design of my page. Much better optics, but it loose the download capability on the way :shock:

It should work now. I would appreciate if somebody can confirm this.
Cheers,
Martin