Installing MAIW packages in FSX

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
honanhal
Cadet
Cadet

Post by honanhal »

Martin,

I have most of the WOAI flightplans installed--although I used the installer and set it for FSX, I guess the flightplans are still fundamentally FS9. Could that be the problem?

Thanks,
James
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

Post by CelticWarrior »

honanhal wrote:Martin,

I have most of the WOAI flightplans installed--although I used the installer and set it for FSX, I guess the flightplans are still fundamentally FS9. Could that be the problem?

Thanks,
James
Yes, the only thing that the WOAI installer does is to install the files in the correct location within FSX. It doesn't convert the plans to FSX standard or adjust the date difference. To make WOAI files fully compliant with FSX standards you still have to convert them using one of the tools.

Strangely enough, FSX gives priority to FS9 standard traffic files and no FSX traffic files will show up in the sim if FS9 traffic files are present.

Hope that helps.
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
honanhal
Cadet
Cadet

Post by honanhal »

Thanks. While that means I've got some work cut out for me to convert all the WOAI files at least now I know what the problem was. How weird that FSX privileges FS9 traffic files...

Best,
James
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

No work at all, AIFP will locate any and all FS9 files in a specified folder and 'batch convert' them automatically for you. I recommend reading the manual carefully before starting.

Be warned, though, the more files you have, the longer it will take. I have over 1300 traffic files and it took over 10 hours to complete the process :shock:
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
honanhal
Cadet
Cadet

Post by honanhal »

Much obliged, got it all working now. Thanks for everything.

Best,
James
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

A pleasure to be of assistance :-)
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

CelticWarrior wrote: I have over 1300 traffic files and it took over 10 hours to complete the process :shock:
Good lord! :shock:
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
OVERLORD_CHRIS
Cadet
Cadet

Post by OVERLORD_CHRIS »

I have s silly question, where is the MAIW FSX Installation Guide? I have been looking for a while and have not located it.
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

I've edited my very first post in this section to provide a link to Martin's guide :wink:
OVERLORD_CHRIS
Cadet
Cadet

Post by OVERLORD_CHRIS »

CelticWarrior wrote:I've edited my very first post in this section to provide a link to Martin's guide :wink:
Thank you so very much :D
Saved to my desktop.
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

Always a pleasure
flyerkg
Major
Major
Version: P3D

Post by flyerkg »

CelticWarrior wrote:
honanhal wrote:Martin,

James
Strangely enough, FSX gives priority to FS9 standard traffic files and no FSX traffic files will show up in the sim if FS9 traffic files are present.

Hope that helps.
Thank you very much for pointing this out. Now I figured out why I had certain AI flights disappear as I began re-installing addons to my FSX. I guess I need to convert everything to FSX schedules no matter what.

Keith
Flash34
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Re: Installing MAIW packages in FSX

Post by Flash34 »

Does anyone know how to remove buildings from AFCADS in FSX ? I installed the Grand Forks AFB package and I have two buildings that are on the ramp. It doesn't affect my AI traffic but the ramp doesn't look right.

Thanks
Derek S.
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

Yes, use ADE9X.

I think you'll find that most FS9 AFCADs used in FSX will throw up the same issue. Using ADE9X you can move (or remove) stock buildings. I have to admit I'm finding some difficulty doing the same with taxiway signs though. I'm sure I'll find a solution to that some day.
NIGHTFIGHTER
Cadet
Cadet

Post by NIGHTFIGHTER »

Hi CW, I got FSX about 5 months ago and installed it and what wonderful eye candy. But then came the problem, i just could not fall in love with it knowing i couldn't transfer all your wonderful airfields and the many FS9 aircraft and skins, now there is a way of getting FS9 stuff working id love to try. Only we have a slight problem in that the link you gave to Martins Guide is not working..can you ad a new link....it's ok ive got a model aircraft sitting here at home with no instructions and im just as screwed without them to..many thanks in advance mate.
ricktk
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Post by ricktk »

For install guide go here: http://www.interkultur.de/gossmann/fsx/maiw.php. You will see the download button for the guide.
Rick

"Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check."
NIGHTFIGHTER
Cadet
Cadet

Post by NIGHTFIGHTER »

Thanks alot ricktk, and now for some reading.
c152flyboy
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by c152flyboy »

ok i have had some success with installing MAIW packages into FSX but i have not seen information on how to install the packages if you do not want to convert the fligh plans from FS9 to FSX. some of the packages use the WOAI installer and it worked while other packages with their own installer did not work as well. so i need this question answered. please tell me where i need to install the files into FSX so they will be seen and fly, i am not concerned right now if they fly on the correct days or not. i see my WOAI planes fine but when i put MAIW planes in the same folder i do not see them. BTW i have read the FSX install guide, it was good, but i didnt want to convert the flight plan info, i just want to install the MAIW files in teh correct FSX folders so i will seee them AI traffic and have them fly.
thank you,
kyle
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK, so if I understand this correctly, You want to know where to put the traffic bgl.

If that is the case then on page 6, section 5.h, tells you where to place the bgls. You can place the originals or the converted files there. Its the same place that FS9 keeps them.

Does this answer your question?
Steve
c152flyboy
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by c152flyboy »

i think so firebird. i am not at home to test this out but i will tonight. this all started when i installed Osan. it worked very well but then i tried to install the Great Lakes 1 and 2 and they did not work. then Osan stopped working so i deleted all the MAIW files i could find and started over. this time nothing worked. so i figured i would try to install another way. i will report back tomorrow to let you know if this worked.
I never had FS9 so placing the files in the same location was something i would not be familiar with.
thanks