RAF Drawdowns Proposed

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
GZR_Sactargets
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

RAF Drawdowns Proposed

Post by GZR_Sactargets »

It has been my experience that if you voluntarily close things. Subsequent budget decisions ignore those facts and cut even more. :roll:

London Sunday Times
November 15, 2009

RAF Plans Huge Cuts In Aircraft And Stations

By Michael Smith

AIR FORCE chiefs are preparing to cut 10,000 staff — a quarter of their manpower — and close up to five large air stations.

The plans will reduce the RAF’s strength to 31,000 personnel over the next five years, little more than half the level during the recent Iraq conflict and seriously diminishing its capability of fighting another conventional war.

It also intends to retire the majority of its Harrier and Tornado jets early, leaving it with about 80 fewer aircraft by 2025. The cuts are part of a package prepared for the 2010 annual spending round.

They are designed to pre-empt the savage cuts expected as part of the strategic defence review promised by whichever party wins power in next year’s general election.

A senior RAF officer said the plans were designed to save “significant amounts of money, measured in billions of pounds a year” rather than having them forced on the service by the review.

The RAF has 19 flying stations in the UK, but the reduction in aircraft means up to five are expected to be closed and sold over the next decade.

The stations most at risk include RAF Cottesmore in Rutland and RAF Wittering in Cambridgeshire, both of which will close when the Harrier fleet is retired.

One of either RAF Marham in Norfolk or RAF Lossiemouth in Morayshire is under threat because of planned cuts to joint strike fighter numbers. So, too, is RAF Kinloss in Morayshire, with the new Nimrod MRA4 expected to move to RAF Waddington in Lincolnshire.

One plan under consideration would see all RAF fast jet training moving to RAF Valley in Anglesey, leading to the possible closure of RAF Linton-on-Ouse and RAF Leeming, both in North Yorkshire.

Other proposals would see all the RAF’s Merlin helicopters move from RAF Benson in Oxfordshire to a joint RAFRoyal Navy station at what is currently Royal Naval Air Station Culdrose in Cornwall.

The proposals were ordered by Air Chief Marshal Sir Stephen Dalton, the new chief of the air staff, and the air force board ahead of the 2010 spending round. It comes with the RAF ordered to find £200m in cuts tand ensure all possible available resources are diverted to Afghanistan.

Short-term cuts will see reductions in the RAF’s flying schedule, the grounding of Nimrod MR2 aircraft and Puma helicopters until April, and the mothballing of four of its seven Boeing E-3D Sentry Awacs airborne warning aircraft.

Senior RAF officers believe that whichever party wins the general election it will have to make cuts to defence because of the economic situation.

The Ministry of Defence said: “These are challenging times and, like all government departments, we routinely review spending to ensure that best use is made of the defence budget.”
GZR_SACTARGETS
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Re: RAF Drawdowns Proposed

Post by Firebird »

Jeez, soon the whole RAF will be able to be based on those two Carriers for the RN.
Steve
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Hey, look at the bright side, less packages that we'll have to do for FSXIV......
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

We reduced our Army forces from 25 divisions in 1990 to what you see today...struggling to field enough forces to fight two smaller wars. It's a lot harder to rebuild than it is to tear them down.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I say this with tongue in cheek, in case anybody wants to start a flame war, but the way its going the only way we can flight a war on two fronts will be to use nukes.
Steve
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

Ha! I'll go one further and say that the only way to "conquer" a country is to completely subjugate them. See what happened in Germany and Japan in World War 2, for instance. The half-measured way we are doing things in both countries simply will not work in the long term. Please keep in mind, I am not advocating this sort of thing. Being an infantryman, I am all for figuring out how to 'talk things out'
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Yeah, although the "No country = No problem" approach may get some peoples attention. :twisted:
Steve
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by petebramley »

Just one small problem

We don't have enough nukes left either

Last one out please kill the lights
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
chazzer

Post by chazzer »

Just read the artical on RAF drawdowns. I live on the approach to RAF Lyneham and its currently home to the Hercules C1K C3K C4 and C5 Hercules C130K`s And the newer C130`Js.
The station is due to close in 2012 but probably flying will cease summer 2011.
Things will be awfully quiet around here after the last aircraft have left to go to RAF Brize Norton.
I cant understand how closing RAF Lyneham with its 2 runways compared to RAF Brize Nortons 1 runway makes sence and we have the M4 Motorway only 6 miles away with its access to anypart of the country from there.
We currently host the flights home of the RAF C17 Globemaster repatriation flights from Afghanistan and the procession through Wooton Basset where people and the press turn out to cover this patriotic event.
This didnt happen when the Globemasters took the dead back to RAF Brize Norton indeed press coverage was on the whole very limited.
I am not saying keep Lyneham open purely fo this reason but we around here will be sad to see the last aircraft depart and not come back.
It will suck the life out of Lyneham and the local area.

Chazzer
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Same thing happened when the RN base at Portland closed. The town became a EU area for special aid as there was about 60 per cent unemployment after the closure! The cynical may think that was the only reason it got the 2012 Olympic sailing events!
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

Chazzer,

closing a base always has an impact on local economy - thats for sure.

I am glad I left MFG2 in 2000 before its closure in 2005. Shortly before I left we were told this base will be open at least until 2010. Political struggles about financial issues (How can 10% personel of the Navy burn 40% of the money?) led to an earlier closure. Minister of Defense handed over his job to a new one shortly after this decision was made. In 2004 or so he visited Eggebek and told the mates: "If I had gotten the job earlier this base would not be disbanded." :shock: Some friends were moved to Schleswig (a former Naval Air Base - today Air Force Base) and converted to Air Force staff and others were put into different branches of the Navy. :cry:

I later heard those people around the base complaining the most about the noise are complaining about having no jobs now.
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

The usual signal for a base to close in the UK is the expenditure of £mmmmm on upgrading facilities. They spent DM4m on new AAC hangars and dispersal in Detmold, Germany. Then announced it was to shut the following year :lol:
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
kungfuman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kungfuman »

sprocky wrote:I later heard those people around the base complaining the most about the noise are complaining about having no jobs now.
We have a similar problem in England with GA airfields. People moving to the countryside, but without any consideration about the impact of the local airfield on their "peace and quiet". They then try to force closure of said airfield, taking the technical aviation-related small business out of the local economy. :roll:

If it's an idyllic rural existence you're after, don't move near an airfield! :evil:
Dan
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

The biggest problems I find are with hypocrites.
I live less than half a mile from Heathrows 08L/26R, the amount of local residents that are up in arms about the third runway and/or Terminal 6 is unbelievable. What makes it worse is that a large percentage used to work at Heathrow and then retired and want the airport to go away.

It doesn't work that way, shag. If you don't like it, move.

One actually said to me that the third runway would be close to my house. I said, no closer than the one already is. So they said that the airport will surround me and that I would within two runways. I told them that it should save on the time getting to and from work.

Bloody NIMBY's. :smt093
Steve
maddog65
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by maddog65 »

Firebird wrote:The biggest problems I find are with hypocrites.
I live less than half a mile from Heathrows 08L/26R, the amount of local residents that are up in arms about the third runway and/or Terminal 6 is unbelievable. What makes it worse is that a large percentage used to work at Heathrow and then retired and want the airport to go away.

It doesn't work that way, shag. If you don't like it, move.

Bloody NIMBY's. :smt093
Steve,
Have the same thing here. Oceana has been around since the 40's and now people are screaming that the jets are too loud etc... and they should close the base. Lately the city has been buying up properties around the base to reduce the population density around the AICUZ. Which is helping some to keep Oceana around. But the way i feel if you don't like the noise.....MOVE!!!
I live about 10 miles from Oceana and I can hear the jets in the morning, they fly over my house and I love it. Also my house is on the path for approach to RWY 23 at KORF (downwind leg) and also to RWY 28 at KNGU. Don't hear me complaining.

Les
Les
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

The best put down I ever heard in person regarding noise complaints, was by a Wing Ops officer whilst I was based at Coningsby.
He was getting very frustrated by the attitude of a frequent complainant, and it got the better of him. The end of the conversation went something like this:-

OpsO: So these aircraft were really, really low?
Joe Public: Yes!
OpsO: So low that you could almost touch them?
Joe Public: I told you, yes!
OpsO: Did these aircraft have any distinguishing markings?
Joe Public: What do you mean? Like what?
OpsO: Well, like did they have red stars under the wings?
Joe Public: No!
OpsO: Good. Call back when they do. Good evening to you, sir.
Steve
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team
Version: P3D

Post by tango234 »

OpsO: So these aircraft were really, really low?
Joe Public: Yes!
OpsO: So low that you could almost touch them?
Joe Public: I told you, yes!
OpsO: Did these aircraft have any distinguishing markings?
Joe Public: What do you mean? Like what?
OpsO: Well, like did they have red stars under the wings?
Joe Public: No!
OpsO: Good. Call back when they do. Good evening to you, sir.
lol