Ørland and Bodø

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
davidbernard
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Re: Ørland and Bodø

Post by davidbernard »

The first screenies from my Bodø scenery project.

Dave 'D-Rex' Bernard

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I think that 'lovely' is appropriate here.
Steve
garysted
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by garysted »

Hi Dave,

That looks superb - many thanks for deciding to do Bodo. If the shelters do merge into the sea I'll have to get this Ultimate Terrain Europe as Bodo really is the one major Norwegian field outstanding for me. If anybody has any recommendations as too where to get it from I'd be interested to hear. A quick google found it mostly replaced on the sellers sites by the FSX version.

Thanks also for the info on the AFCAD from the previous sceneries, I had a feeling that something like that was the issue.

Gary
Military aviation photography in the UK

My photo website
per1991

Post by per1991 »

Ehm, sorry to say, but in regards to the scenery; thanks but no thanks. Why are you all saying that the Military side of the airport is not detailed?! That is totally wrong. I live in Bodo, and the scenery is as accurate as it can be. It looks all over better than the above posted, and it is Freeware.

Right now, I am on the way to Guam in Flight Sim, however I will take some pictures of how it looks for me when I have landed.

Orland is also verry detailed.

As for Andoya, that is an airport you want to remake.

I understand that you are making the package for C-130J's and F-16s? Will you try to make the Sea King as well?

Also, callsigns for Flightplans if you wish. Bodo

Callsign:

EG (Echo Golf)
RAZOR
KNIFE
SPOON
FORK
GATOR
DOOM
EVIL
REBEL

Just some straight from my head.

Callsign for International flight (Out and in to Norway) is NOW, Norwegian.

It seems like there needs to be made some more research for this.

Another thing is that I would reccomend that if you do make a scenery, it be made for the combination of Norway Scenic and Mesh which is freeware.

Also for Bodø, take a look at this picture:

If you go to maps.google.com and go to Bodo you will find a verry detailed satelite image of Bodo.

Theres also for Orland.

For Bodø, here is a webpage with satelite fotos that may help you out quite a bit.

http://webhotel2.gisline.no/GISLINEWebI ... e=ortofoto

And a quick Motivational movie from Bodo in real life: http://vimeo.com/7307419

Beeing from Bodo, Norway and a quite active simmer, I can try to help you with anything that you need. For the AI Package, I will unfourtanley not use your Scenery for the airport, because I feel that the scenery by Norwegian Airports is a bit better than what you offer here right now.

That beeing said, good work and keep it going, I mean everyone can't know everything hehe. If you got anything youre wondering on, shoot it to me. I can also try to assist with getting some pictures for you as well.

Most of my knowledge is based on Bodø, but I know of good sources for general Airport details, and also where to find good pictures and so on.

I can also try to help with getting some callsigns, flightplans and times for the flights. I will be home tomorrow so I can try to get my Scanner on and listen in.

Allthough I do realize that you are trying to get as much "neat" details as you can, I have to say that this honsetly looks like a scenery for FS98 or FS2000 or something, but that may because of many different reasons.

As for the AI package itself, I can test out compatability with Norwegian Airports, Norway Scenic and Norway Mesh.

I'll send you my MSN adress on PM.
garysted
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by garysted »

Hi there,

That's all interesting stuff there that you've mentioned, I'm particularly interested that you seem to have a functional Norwegian Airports version of Bodo, because I gave up in frustration a long time ago in trying to get those sceneries to work for Bodo - although obviously I appreciate they are freeware. I tried various versions of it from the download sites, including the Norwegian flight sim site itself and found numerous problems. Although I've mentioned it above, I'll run through the problems I found and ought to say I have no other sceneries installed in Norway to interfere with it. I found the AI and player aircraft either 'floating' or 'sunk', depending on version installed and location around the field. Although I'm no FS expert It seems to be in the scenery itself as AFCAD alterations and that little height adjustment programme you can get had no effect. The Norwegian Airports 'AI height' fix that you can download for Bodo alters the height but over compensates. Also many of the taxiways and apron textures break up and disappear (the main central apron on the south side is a particular culprit), for some strange reason these are fine if you start the FS session at Bodo, but moving away and returning without resetting the session causes the textures to have broken up (also the AI has sunk even further when this happens). I found that the apron textures at Gardermoen in Norwegian Airports was even worse, although luckily there was another freeware version about that works. A number of the AFCADs also require some work, not because they lack parking or are incorrectly aligned (although I have found a few examples that are a bit dodgy), but a couple seem half finished with parking spots and taxiways not connected at all.

As for Bodo specifically, the terminal area and North side on the Norwegian Airports version(s) is well done, but to me it's wasted if the airport does not function properly. The South side lacks the vast majority of the shelters and Infrastructure that you can see in Google Earth, and of the few shelters that are present, several have no taxiways connected to them. The whole thing unfortunately appears to the layman as started but not finished, which I find a real shame as outside the UK, Norway is my favourite location to visit in FS. Which is why I was so pleased that Dave was having a go at Bodo after his earlier efforts. I've only seen the same screen shots above, but certainly South of the runway, it looks a vast improvement. The North side doesn't look quite as detailed I'll admit, but they were only the first screenshots and I'd be happy with that as long as it functions fine, which his previous efforts do.

I've been putting together a AI package for Bodo F-16s (I did one for Orland a week ago) to tie in with Dave's scenery and parking, and I'll offer it out as soon as the scenery is released. It's based purely on speculation but includes waypoints seaward for interception sorties. If agreeable, I'll incorporate those callsigns into the flightplans.

Gary
Military aviation photography in the UK

My photo website
davidbernard
Captain
Captain

Post by davidbernard »

I'm glad that everyone has the right to his own opinion. If you don't like it, don't use it.

I've been reviewing the aerial pics from the referred site. What has happened to all the shelters?! Looks like some major reconstruction (demolishing?!) has been going on from 2003 (current Google Earth imagery date). Where are they keeping their F-16s? :-) Or are these people photoshop artists? :o

Anyway: looks like I made a version based on the 2003 situation; which is more interesting in my opinion anyway :-P

With that in mind I'm sure that any of the airfields I've done are a good representation of that era, being more detailed in taxiways, shelter positions, etc than the Norwegian Airports scenery. Compare mine with Google Earth and you will see what I mean.The only thing is that I can't create scenery objects in fsds of gmax (wanna join the workshop here at the forums though ;-))

This means that I can't create the right type of shelters, hangars and other buildings, and have to work with objects from other designers. Although these objects are of high quality, they are not accurate for ENAN, ENBO of ENOL. It's something I can live with, because for me personally the airfield layout is more important.

For the civilian part of Bodo I used default terminals. Also not very accurate, but it's not possible to combine objects from the Norwegian Airports scenery with my airport layout.

Bottom line: I'm doing this for my own pleasure and I'm happy to share with people who like it. If you don't: no problem at all, just stick to whatever scenery works for you.

By the way: have you tried operating 50+ military AI aircraft from any of the Norwegian Airports fields? Good luck...
Dave 'D-Rex' Bernard

per1991

Post by per1991 »

No No No No No, the shelters have NOT been removed. Thing of it is that photographing is really prohibited at the airport, so on the last sattelite images from Bodø Kommune, the shelters has been removed.

In regards to the South side in NA9 not beeing as you guys wish, well imo the overall look of NA9 makes me rather want that airport. But by all means, thats just me and I am sure that others would rather like this scenery. I will get some pictures of the scenery today.
davidbernard
Captain
Captain

Post by davidbernard »

Thank God.. I HAVE created a current scenery project :smt041
Dave 'D-Rex' Bernard

Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joecoastie »

Man, I'd like to have the level of photography that's on the Bodo Commune site for other airports I'm interested in!
At full zoom you can see the external power cables and read airline logos.
(I know all things are possible for the right $$$)

Joe

PS: am working on the RNoAF SeaKings - had let them slip
Service to my Country 9/61 - 2/03
US Navy - HS-3, VX-1, HS-7 (USS Intrepid, USS Wasp, USS Yorktown)
Va National Guard - 229th Cbt Avn Co
US Coast Guard - E City CGAS, CGC Morro Bay, RTC Yorktown
NOAA - Co-op Observer 1983 - present
per1991

Post by per1991 »

Well Joe, its not like this is secret or anything. The level of detail is available for other airports also, maps.google.com is good for most large airports in the world. Which airports are you looking for? I could try to help out.

As for RNoAF Sea Kings, they have received a new Hangar in Bodø. The old one is demolished (which by the way was due long ago, which became pretty clear when they started the demolish. It was supposed to be taken in several steps, the crane barley touched the hangar and it collapsed...) I am unable to find a good picture of the new hangar at this time.

Callsign for the Sea King in Norway is SAVER.

Sea King Bodø uses SAVER20 mostly. I have not heard anything else.

The Sea King is part of the 330 Squadron, and is based at Rygge (ENRY), Stavanger (ENZV), ENFL (Florø), Ørland (ENOL), Bodø (ENBO) and Bannak (ENNA)
Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Joecoastie »

per1991 wrote: . . . The level of detail is available for other airports also, maps.google.com is good for most large airports in the world . .
I use Google Earth and Google.maps among others, but most do not have the resolution that the Bodo site has.
Are other airports in Norway available with the same resolution as Bodo?
davidbernard
Captain
Captain

Post by davidbernard »

The Bodø scenery and AI package is out there to give it a try. Remember: UT Europe required. Please enjoy!

http://sites.google.com/site/davidberna ... e/download
Dave 'D-Rex' Bernard

BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

Great work, Dave. Congratulations.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
per1991

Post by per1991 »

I will check out how your AI works with NA9 when I have landed at Hickam :=)
davidbernard
Captain
Captain

Post by davidbernard »

per1991 wrote:I will check out how your AI works with NA9 when I have landed at Hickam :=)
Just a few will show up because of the lack of military parking spots...
Dave 'D-Rex' Bernard

Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Joecoastie »

Looking good! Only prob I have is that I've lost some tree textures.
Found two 16's "sleeping" . . .waiting for a Sunday sorte.
Oh, and I don't have UT Europe so a few shelters are sitting on "water humps". ;-)

Joe
davidbernard
Captain
Captain

Post by davidbernard »

Dramatic screenie :-)

Dave 'D-Rex' Bernard

davidbernard