Henry Tomkiewicz C-130 Propellors Automatic Update

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
Graham King
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Henry Tomkiewicz C-130 Propellors Automatic Update

Post by Graham King »

I have written a little program in Visual Basic 6 to replace the prop texture files.

A couple of proviso's. First I take no responsibility for what it does to your system. Secondly the automated packaging system did not work on my computer so I have just zipped up what is needed.

I have tried it out on another machine running XP and it worked fine.

The program relies on finding the original aircraft title in your aircraft.cfg's. If you just moved the aircraft around to consolidate folders it should be fine but if you have renamed the aircraft then the program will fail.

To install just unzip to any folder, somewhere easy because you can delete it when done.

Run MAIW C-130 Propellors.exe, it checks the .csv files and textures are installed, they are included in the zip file. If they are not you will get error messages.

From Explorer copy and paste into the text box the location of your FS aircraft folder, for FSX I assume this will be the AI Aircraft folder.

Click the Find Propellors button and the program will search all the aircraft folders for MAIW C-130's. When it has finished it should bring up a html file with all the aircraft it found and what model and colour of propellor texture it will replace with. With so many variations of programs to read the file with, if you get problems go to the folder you installed the program and open Action.html to see this.

When you have reviewed the list return to the program and click the Update Propellors button to do the dirty deed, replace your C-130 prop textures with my new ones.

You can download the program here

Edit: See below for an updated version which also adds the required prop_anim_ratio.
Graham King

Why can’t they keep the colours in the bloody paint pots and just leave them grey

www.graham-king.me.uk

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Re: Henry Tomkiewicz C-130 Propellors Automatic Update

Post by Firebird »

Totally sweet concept, unfortunately totally useless for me as last month I went through and completely consolidated and renamed all my C-130s. B*gger.

However, that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate what you have done here, Graham. i just wish i could test it out. :(
Steve
btaylo24
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: P3D

Post by btaylo24 »

Graham

Its a ZIPX? what is that WINZIP compressed...If I try to unzip it I get a ton of errors
! C:\Documents and Settings\Barry Taylor\My Documents\Downloads\MAIW C-130 Propellors.zipx: Unknown method in MAIW C-130 Propellors.exe
! C:\Documents and Settings\Barry Taylor\My Documents\Downloads\MAIW C-130 Propellors.zipx: Unknown method in C-130E_H\Black\prop-hs.bmp
! C:\Documents and Settings\Barry Taylor\My Documents\Downloads\MAIW C-130 Propellors.zipx: Unknown method in C-130E_H\Blue Yellow 41st ECS\prop-hs.bmp
! C:\Documents and Settings\Barry Taylor\My Documents\Downloads\MAIW C-130 Propellors.zipx: Unknown method in C-130E_H\Grey Black\prop-hs.bmp
! C:\Documents and Settings\Barry Taylor\My Documents\Downloads\MAIW C-130 Propellors.zipx: Unknown method in C-130E_H\Orange Grey Orange\prop-hs.bmp
! C:\Documents and Settings\Barry Taylor\My Documents\Downloads\MAIW C-130 Propellors.zipx: Unknown method in C-130E_H\Red White Red\prop-hs.bmp
! C:\Documents and Settings\Barry Taylor\My Documents\Downloads\MAIW C-130 Propellors.zipx: Unknown method in C-130E_H\White Red White\prop-hs.bmp
! C:\Documents and Settings\Barry Taylor\My Documents\Downloads\MAIW C-130 Propellors.zipx: Unknown method in C-130E_H\Yellow\prop-hs.bmp
! C:\Documents and Settings\Barry Taylor\My Documents\Downloads\MAIW C-130 Propellors.zipx: Unknown method in C-130E_H\Yellow Wide\prop-hs.bmp
! C:\Documents and Settings\Barry Taylor\My Documents\Downloads\MAIW C-130 Propellors.zipx: Unknown method in C-130J\Grey\prop-hs.bmp
! C:\Documents and Settings\Barry Taylor\My Documents\Downloads\MAIW C-130 Propellors.zipx: Unknown method in C-130J\Red White Red\prop-hs.bmp
! C:\Documents and Settings\Barry Taylor\My Documents\Downloads\MAIW C-130 Propellors.zipx: Unknown method in C-130J\White\prop-hs.bmp
! C:\Documents and Settings\Barry Taylor\My Documents\Downloads\MAIW C-130 Propellors.zipx: Unknown method in C-130J\White Black White\prop-hs.bmp
! C:\Documents and Settings\Barry Taylor\My Documents\Downloads\MAIW C-130 Propellors.zipx: Unknown method in C-130 Props by Aircraft.csv
Barry
maddog65
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by maddog65 »

Barry,
Worked fine for me.

Les
Les
MAIW Veteran

Post by Graham King »

Barry, zipx is the latest form of zip file. I have uploaded it as the older type zip file.

http://www.king.eclipse.co.uk/Packages/MAIW C-130 Propellors.zip
Graham King

Why can’t they keep the colours in the bloody paint pots and just leave them grey

www.graham-king.me.uk

Dark Morelia
Captain
Captain

Post by Dark Morelia »

Thanks for this Graham.

My system had no idea what to do with a zipx file either, just threw errors trying to extract it. Funny how the latest format gives an archive with a larger file size than the old format :?
I thought technology was supposed to work the other way :lol:
Drew >>

btaylo24
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by btaylo24 »

Graham

Thanks for that, the ZIP worked fine... :smt006
technology eh!
Barry
Graham King
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by Graham King »

Gary pointed out that with the newer textures they also require an additional entry in the aircraft.cfg, prop_anim_ratio=-0.12. I have updated the program to add this entry as it copies the textures.

The file is here www.king.eclipse.co.uk/Packages/MAIW C-130 Propellors.zip

If you have already replaced the textures just replace MAIW C-130 Propellors.exe with the newer version and run the program again. It will replace the textures again but it will add the prop_anim_ratio as well.
Graham King

www.graham-king.me.uk

Bell 209
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by Bell 209 »

Worked fine for me! Thanks a lot, Graham.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Amazing! Graham was very kind enough to go out of his way to try and amend the program to accommodate me and my own way of storing the Herks.
Despite me consolidating folders, renaming titles and renaming texture folders the tool was able to find and alter 709 props for me. If there is anyone else like me, who fiddles around with things, I would urge you to try the latest version from the link above.

I should mention that until I selected the 'Search by variation' option it found nothing.

Oh yes, and I did make a quick back up of the consolidated directories before I used it. One, due to years of paranoia and two, because as Graham says - the responsibility is ours.

I hope this info helps somebody,

Thanks, Graham.
Steve
Blank Fang
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by Blank Fang »

Thanks Graham
The tool worked fine. Even in my consolidated Setup

Code: Select all

...\Aircraft\MAIW_HTAI_C-130H\texture.Portugal\AFP_501_16803
...\Aircraft\MAIW_HTAI_C-130H\texture.Portugal\AFP_501_16804
...\Aircraft\MAIW_HTAI_C-130H\texture.Portugal\AFP_501_16805
Norton Internet Security Sonar did throw an Error and eliminated the file at first but after temporarily deactivating it all went fine.

Thanks again
Willy
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

Worked perfectly on my modified layout, even on the testures ported over from FSX that had been modified by Martin's texture replacement tool :lol:

Thanks Graham :smt006
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
Capa
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Capa »

Yep, worked perfectly on my setup, added the cfg entries and all.

Wonderfull tool Graham, thanks!
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

+1, had already starting swapping them out one by one. Didn't think such a small fix would do so much to the C-130! Thanks
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

CelticWarrior wrote:Worked perfectly on my modified layout, even on the testures ported over from FSX that had been modified by Martin's texture replacement tool :lol:

Thanks Graham :smt006
That is cool. So there is no caveat to suggest to run Grahams tool on top of the Prop Texture Replacer?
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Graham's little proggie only updates C-130 props, and works fine for FSX as the textures appear to be FSX compatible. Of course if an FSX user ran Graham's prog first and then later on decided to run your tool to replace all of the FS9 props in our packages then he would obviously lose the new accurate schemes.

So it would make sense that an FSX user ran your tool first and then Graham's. If it was done the other way around then he would need to then rerun Graham's prog again.

Is this what you mean?
Steve
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Firebird wrote:Graham's little proggie only updates C-130 props, and works fine for FSX as the textures appear to be FSX compatible. Of course if an FSX user ran Graham's prog first and then later on decided to run your tool to replace all of the FS9 props in our packages then he would obviously lose the new accurate schemes.

So it would make sense that an FSX user ran your tool first and then Graham's. If it was done the other way around then he would need to then rerun Graham's prog again.

Is this what you mean?
Thanks Steve, that is what I wanted to have confirmed. Will recommend this approach in the new version of the Guide.
Cheers,
Martin
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

Martin, I'm sorry for confusing things, my choice of words wasn't good.

What I meant was that Graham's utility worked very well on my FS9 setup in the consolidated C-130 folders ported from FSX back to FS9. That folder had previously been altered by your conversion tool.

I hope that now makes sense. :smt017
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

You did not, Cary :D

I only wanted to make extra sure that I understand this correctly because it will go straight into version 2 of the Guide (bound to be released next weekend).
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

CW,
Just so there is absolutely no possible confusion left, does the prog work OK in FSX, and do the props work OK in FSX?
Steve