The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

BEWARE

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
scottr5213
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

BEWARE

Post by scottr5213 »

I wanted to let everybody know to make sure you check your downloads from AVSIM.RU, Tuesday I downloaded a military scenery and after I did the auto download it launched a virus that wont even let me start my computer, and my tech said that it deleted some windows files.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Re: BEWARE

Post by MIKE JG »

Yikes, thanks for the heads up!
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

Scott, which scenery was that?
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
scottr5213
Captain
Captain

Post by scottr5213 »

Hi Jan, Long time no talk, when I get my computer back will let eveybody know what to avoid.
scottr5213
Captain
Captain

Post by scottr5213 »

Kamchatka. The Lost World v1.0 this is the file name on AVSIM.RU thats infected.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joseph29 »

You sure that was the scenery infected? Cause I tried it out 2 days ago (didn't keep it) and my virus scanner didn't pick up any virus and my computer is running fine.
scottr5213
Captain
Captain

Post by scottr5213 »

My virus scan didnt pick it up eather. But thats the last thing I installed before the crash, it has somthing to do with the installer that came with the scenery.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joseph29 »

Thanks for the heads up. :) I will keep my eye on my virus scanner. It has scanned my computer a few times since I tired the scenery and it hasn't found any viruses and the computer is still working correct.

What virus scanner do you use? I have Kaspersky.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

If the installer is a clickteam one, the same as the one that MAIW uses, then its not actually a virus. The latest checkers pick up the advert in the freeware version as adware.
Steve
scottr5213
Captain
Captain

Post by scottr5213 »

I use McAfee virus scan, and I dont think the installer was from clickteam, the one thing that I do remember is that it took a long time for it to start the install (45-60 sec). I have downloaded other things from AVSIM.RU and never had a problem, some of the floks over there has talant, and I'am starting to think it might have picked up somthing thru a portal depending on the route it took.
james84

Post by james84 »

You'd better tell this to Avsim.ru moderators too!
Anyway, sometimes auto-installers cause this kind of problems: for example, Norton 2005 didn't allow me to install ISD Project's Venice because it didn't like a script inside the exe file!
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

Yes,
My scenery development offsider also picked up a virus from an installer package off Avsim a couple months ago, in the end he had to buy a new hard drive, bugger.
I guess there are people out there that think its funny to make a virus.