Trees on Ramp

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
wbunnell
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Trees on Ramp

Post by wbunnell »

Downloaded McConnell AI package, every thing work OK except there are trees on the Ramp.

Tried cutting back on scenery level, but to remove the trees I also lose the hangers.
ricktk
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Re: Trees on Ramp

Post by ricktk »

You do not state which FS version you are using?

However, trees on the ramp, mean that the afcad for the field has expanded outside the airport background polygon(green background) of the original default airfield. While a single tree or autogen object could be excluded using an exclude rectangle, the best solution is to expand the airport background polygon using a program such as Airport Design Editor (ADE) or SBuilder, that work with landclass polygons, and vector lines. ADE, of course, also does afcad type work, and can also insert scenery objects. There is a learning curve to working with either program, but ADE is a great solution to working with all aspects of designing/editing an airfield. There is also a tutorial on doing this by Jim Vile at the ADE forum at http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showth ... =landclass
Rick

"Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

In the McConnell package John Stinstrom has provided quite a few excludes with his scenery. Can you confirm that you have 8 excludes installed and activated.
If these still exist, then I think that it may be the relative positioning of your activated folders. Try copying the afcads supplied with the package to the McConnell scenery directory. This sort of occurrence is normally due to this.
Steve
kungfuman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kungfuman »

I understand ADE can be used for landclass in FSX, but what is the best method for creating landclass in FS9?

I want to provide a better look to an airport that has expanded beyond its FS9 default boundary.
Dan
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

SBuilder is freeware, EZ Landclass I believe is payware, either will do the job.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
kungfuman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kungfuman »

Thanks, I'll look into it.
Dan
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Would anyone be interested in an SBuilder tutorial?? While I wait for a space to put my main rig back together to do the FSDS tutorials, I can make a text based SBuilder for FS9 to show you guys how to use that freeware program to build airfields from scratch including modifying land class, adding/deleting road, rivers, etc as well as creating new airport backgrounds and even placing objects.

If there is enough interest in this, I will do it. I found a site the other day where you can download SBuilder and get everything you need for it to work right away in one download that installs correctly the very first time.
-Mike G.

kungfuman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kungfuman »

Hi Mike,

I also found a file on Avsim that seems to work first time (so far!). File is "sbuilderfs9.zip" and was provided last year as a complete package of the latest build (apparently). I'll let you know if I have any trouble though.

I'm currently using a scruffyduck tutorial on "Airfield Regression" which details some of the procedures you mention. I'd check there if you need any inspiration, or if you want to make sure you're not reinventing the wheel.

A purpose built tutorial for all the things you mention would be very useful indeed. Thumbs up!
Dan
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

I think you should go for it!

Ron
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

John's airfield regression tutes are how I learned, they're pretty good to start with. Glad to hear you've got a handle on it.
-Mike G.

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I think that its worth while,as over the years there are always requests for tutorials on this and that.
Steve
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Post by gsnde »

Jon has compiled a set of good SBuilder tutorials on the old Scruffduck website.
Cheers,
Martin