Pilots and ATC...React!

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Pilots and ATC...React!

Post by BadPvtDan »

Im sure you've heard this audio this morning.
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-be ... 74177.html
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
kungfuman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Re: Pilots and ATC...React!

Post by kungfuman »

ATC is child's play, after all...
Dan
Bosshogg
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Bosshogg »

As a retired air traffic controller, I resemble that remark! I also condemn this controller's actions as very unprofessional and otherwise stupid.
kungfuman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kungfuman »

Bosshogg wrote:As a retired air traffic controller, I resemble that remark!

As the body gets old, the mind disintegrates via childhood... :lol:
Dan
lcdtbjbrown
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by lcdtbjbrown »

lol its wrong but great :smt005
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

I don't know what all the fuss is about. The kid was simply being a parrot, repeating exactly what a real controller was telling him to say. He wasn't actually "controlling" anyone or anything.

When a civilian gets to take the controls of a fighter jet on a media ride, how come there's no outrage? I mean after all, said person is certainly not qualified to be in control of a multi-million dollar machine of war. Oh the horror!

The poor guy probably couldn't find a babysitter for the day, give him a break already!
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I know exactly what you are saying, Mike.
The trouble is that everybody is scared of hindsight. I can't remember too many of the details but around a decade ago I seem to recall that a Russian airliner crashed and it was found that the pilots kids were alone in the cockpit, with the autopilot on, whilst the pilot left the cockpit.

I guess you can't blame the authorities for not wanting to be second guessed after an incident.
Steve
Jumpshot724
Major
Major

Post by Jumpshot724 »

I don't know what all the fuss is about. The kid was simply being a parrot, repeating exactly what a real controller was telling him to say. He wasn't actually "controlling" anyone or anything.

When a civilian gets to take the controls of a fighter jet on a media ride, how come there's no outrage? I mean after all, said person is certainly not qualified to be in control of a multi-million dollar machine of war. Oh the horror!

The poor guy probably couldn't find a babysitter for the day, give him a break already!

My sentiments exactly. I spent 2 hours in JFK tower last summer, and it was great. Albeit they didn't let me talk on the radio lol. The kid was just repeating what they told him to, it's not like he took over so dad could go to the bathroom........ :roll:
-Joe W.

"I love the smell of jetfuel in the morning....smells like VICTORY!!"

kungfuman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kungfuman »

While I agree that safety is not much of an issue here, I have to say that the people responsible have shown themselves to be lacking in both integrity and intelligence.

Of course their actions will cause public furore. The public have no understanding of the detail of ATC, and - not being in a position to understand that safety wasn't breached - they'll just be wholly unnerved. The individuals concerned will be fully deserving of punishment for failing to appreciate how the media will jump on such silly antics. Aviation gets enough bad press as it is. If you're gonna pull stunts, choose somewhere out in the sticks - not JFK!

Who knows what else they'll think of doing? Probably nothing, but the odds are less in their favour given past behaviour.

I'm going to use the word "unbecoming". I think it fits...
Dan
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

Whatever your opinion is about this story: the medias won and got the attention on another boring day :P
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)