Minot AFB

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
redtail58554

Minot AFB

Post by redtail58554 »

Hey guys,
New to the site and first time posting so please be patient with me if I posted this in the wrong section. I want to create a complete scenery for Minot AFB, ND. I used to live there I think it would be fun to both fly out of there and also watch AI there. My question is two fold. First is does anyone know where I can get an AI B-52 and static B-52's? Second, this is my first scenery attempt and so I am curious if it is possible to model the entire base or just the section with the aircraft (ramps, taxiways, runway, etc.)?
Thanks in advance
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Minot AFB

Post by Firebird »

Firstly, welcome.
Simply put there is no true AI B-52 at the moment, one may appear but you never know in this game. A lot of people do use a range of pseudo-AI models which have reduced polygons, but will still hit your system hard if you have quite a few around.

I am sure that individuals will add details of their choices and where you can find them and schemes for them.

On the modeling side, you can model anything you like. People model cities in FS9, so there is no reason for you to be limited in anything that you want to do. Once you get going you may find the urge to post pics here irresistible, normally when that happens people start helping with suggestions of what to use or what to add.
The limit on how much help you can take is purely down to you. :lol:
Steve
redtail58554

Post by redtail58554 »

Thank you for the reply. I am a little disappointed by the lack of a purely ai BUFF but oh well. I will see what I can find and work with it. I have seen a few B-52's that come in Minot markings so that will help. Time to start my research and get to work.
scottr5213
Captain
Captain

Post by scottr5213 »

If you need some help with your scenery let me know.
redtail58554

Post by redtail58554 »

scottr5213 wrote:If you need some help with your scenery let me know.
Thanks for the offer and I will gladly accept it.
redtail58554

Post by redtail58554 »

Firebird wrote:Firstly, welcome.
Simply put there is no true AI B-52 at the moment, one may appear but you never know in this game. A lot of people do use a range of pseudo-AI models which have reduced polygons, but will still hit your system hard if you have quite a few around.

I am sure that individuals will add details of their choices and where you can find them and schemes for them.

On the modeling side, you can model anything you like. People model cities in FS9, so there is no reason for you to be limited in anything that you want to do. Once you get going you may find the urge to post pics here irresistible, normally when that happens people start helping with suggestions of what to use or what to add.
The limit on how much help you can take is purely down to you. :lol:
Where is the best place to start when designing a scenery?
hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by hawk_sh »

I would suggest to start with the AFCAD file using either Lee Swordy's AFCAD 2.21 or Airport Design Editor (ADE).
I suppose ADE is the program of choice nowadays as you can use background images and also place objects with it.
Hartwig

kungfuman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kungfuman »

hawk_sh wrote:
I would suggest to start with the AFCAD file using either Lee Swordy's AFCAD 2.21 or Airport Design Editor (ADE).
I suppose ADE is the program of choice nowadays as you can use background images and also place objects with it.
I suggest that accurately placing the elements of your scenery is important, and this can be made easier with ADE's ability to use a background image, not to mention it's ability to place scenery objects (unlike it's precursor, AFCAD).

You can find ADE here (aka ADE9X):

http://www.scruffyduck.org.uk/filemanag ... %20Version

Download the file at the top, called ADE-9x-Setup-Full-1.45

You may also need to download ADE9X-Environment-Checker-Setup, as it will check that you have all the necessary files required to run ADE, and inform you of what may be missing.

Good luck!
Dan
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

Post by CelticWarrior »

kungfuman wrote:Download the file at the top, called ADE-9x-Setup-Full-1.45
Also please ensure you update ADE as soon as you've installed it by using the programme's update checker located in the Help drop down menu.
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
redtail58554

Post by redtail58554 »

Just downloaded ADE. Hopefully I can figure it out.
redtail58554

Post by redtail58554 »

Been a great week. Computer got a nasty virus or two. Had to dump my hard drive and start over from scratch. Looks like this project will be delayed for a while until I get everything reinstalled.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I think that we have all had that feeling before.
Steve
redtail58554

Post by redtail58554 »

And we are really short handed at work and I have worked the few days off because someone decided not to show up for work.
redtail58554

Post by redtail58554 »

Finally got working on KMIB. Most of the ramps, taxiways and runways are the correct size now. Ran into a problem tonight as I was doing my first tests though. When I moved the ramps to their correct spots I now have a forest in the middle of them. Got to do some more work but will post some screenies soon.