RAAF (YAMB) Amberely Air Base, Queensland, Australia

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
Karaya
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Karaya »

Mark,is that Point Cook?

Also great job on Amberley,forgot to comment after my last post about verson 2 being up.
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

Ok I'll bite, what is the freeware ADE????
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

Karaya, thanks for comment.

Yes you know your RAAF bases well, its Point Cook (RAAF Williams) and its coming along nicely with a lot of photo-quality textures including photo-ground being used. If I find the time I will also include a small traffic file for the musuem aircraft parked outside.

Mark
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by campbeme »

fishlips wrote:Ok I'll bite, what is the freeware ADE????
ADE is a new freeware Airport Design Editor which allows you to view/edit AFX and AF2 files out of FS9 & FSX with no loss of data.

http://www.militaryaiworks.com/forum/vi ... php?t=6593

Mark
Mark
Karaya
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Karaya »

fishlips wrote:Karaya, thanks for comment.

Yes you know your RAAF bases well, its Point Cook (RAAF Williams) and its coming along nicely with a lot of photo-quality textures including photo-ground being used. If I find the time I will also include a small traffic file for the musuem aircraft parked outside.

Mark

I may not have recognised it if it wasn't for my friend and I also working 'very' slowly on Point Cook for a while ourselves! ( We started it after finishing RAAF Laverton,which I think you may have commented on back on the old VOZ fourms).

We are looking at doing it as a retro 1980's version with CT-4 training traffic though( if we can do the AI flight plans well enough!).

Ours is just with stock and VOZ library items though,even with the one photo above it looks like you guys were able to get a lot better matching buildings than we are using.Given what you were able to do with Amberley yours will look a lot better than ours.

Looking forward to your version!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

I have only been involved in the testing arena for Mark and Loz but I can honestly say that I have been impressed by their work and speed.
Oh yes, and their patience in listening to my feedback. :lol:
Steve
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

I am happy to say that I have visited a lot of these bases in my time and that has helped some what but the trick is to get hold of as many photos as possible.
Even going through video footage can really help with your textures. I generally make every bulding model custom made and where I don't have good photos for the textures, I do a wide spread search for suitable bits and pieces and reconstruct the textures that way.

Sometimes all I have to go off is my aging memory and perhaps a peep over the wing of an aircraft in a photo, but generally that is enough to make a good rendition.

I was thinking of doing Laverton while in the area with custom buildings, also a couple of bases that arn't in Voz or elswhere for that matter.

Personally speaking, I'm still not all that happy with Amberly, I feel it is still a tad light-on but I am very happy that other simmers are enjoying the current version of it which includes the new C-17 hanger.
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

Steve, I always look forward to your feedback, you have good eyes for spoting mistakes and finer detail that I am sometimes blind through looking so hard at the screen for such long periods.

I really appreciate you efforts in testing our sceneries.

Mark
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

Just a quick look at where we are so far with Point Cook, all building and textures are custom.
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

"We are looking at doing it as a retro 1980's version with CT-4 training traffic though( if we can do the AI flight plans well enough!)."

I think you will find that Point Cook has hardly changed since the 60"s, that includes the roof iron on many of the hangers. There is a current up grade of the base underway but I doubt it will add much to the airside of things. This base is a true day retro through the lack of past funding.

With the new freeware ADE afcad program now available, despite it still having a few little bugs, you will be able to customise the AFX afcad to suit your AI needs.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

No problem, Mark.
Glad to have been of service.
Steve
Karaya
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Karaya »

Thanks for the new pics,it looks great! If you don't mind revealing to much are you also doing the housing and other building area behind the main hangars or just the 2 hangar areas?

fishlips wrote:I think you will find that Point Cook has hardly changed since the 60"s, that includes the roof iron on many of the hangers. There is a current up grade of the base underway but I doubt it will add much to the airside of things. This base is a true day retro through the lack of past funding.

With the new freeware ADE afcad program now available, despite it still having a few little bugs, you will be able to customise the AFX afcad to suit your AI needs.

Definitly hasn't changed much,we have been referencing some 80's pics we have against Google Earth and there are only minor differences between then and now.

I have AFX so modifying the afcad won't be a problem.

Amberley: one thing I was wondering about it is the view distance for the buildings?Is that set in the building file itself? I haven't noticed a setting in Instant Scenery when placing objects and it seems the hangars pop in a bit to close the base ( although I gather this would be one of the ways you try and keep the FPS high for slower computers).
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

Yes, Amberely objects do pop in close to the airfield on purpose, about 3.5-5 mile depending on the model.

If using VOZ 1.8, Brisbane City becomes heavy on frames for many users with a lessor grade graphic card or PC. Brisbane also has a MSFS memory leak which has long been a problem and sceneries need to be carefully made for it otherwise CTD's will drive you crazy. More so if using air traffic control IFR approach to YBBN.

Amberely is also part of the YBBN approach way point which tends to add weight to Amberely if the models were set to normal distances.
It does not effect all PC's, but enough to take it into consideration. If you fly using a reduced view window of 50%, you will never notice the difference.
fishlips

Re: RAAF (YAMB) Amberely Air Base, Queensland, Australia

Post by fishlips »

There is an update to YAMB RAAF Base Amberley on the way, it includes a few new models and corrects a few oversights. It will have better parking for 36sqn C-17's as well new arrangements for the RAAF's new Super Hornet.
As well a bit more eye candy, and hopefully also be more capatable with the ADF_AI package helo's which use seperate afcads on the northern end of the base.
All we need now is dedicated light poly AI Tiger & blackhawk helo model.

RAAF East Sale is still in production phase.

Mark
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Quality stuff, Mark.
Steve
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

As my first and favouite beta tester, you'd say that Steve.
But I think the balance is almost perfect for how the base now resides and the new models and effects set it off nicely. I think this update might wait for right moment this time to be released.
Some of our other RAAF base sceneries are also getting a few more things added here and there.
It's funny how the small things can really set a scenery off nicely.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

That is very true.
Steve
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

Here is a quick look at some of the Amberley YAMB scenery updates, and yes they are Nick's Super Hornets in 1 & 6sqn repaints. At this stage, the updated scenery is almost ready but in limbo awaiting instructions.

campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

Looking good there Fishlips.

Just wanted to point out before you release, there is a error on that paint kit you have used for the Super Hornet. If you look at the last picture you will notice the cockpit displays are not textured on aircraft preparing for taxi. We had this issue with Lemoore and had to replace all the paints a week before release.

Mark
Mark
Bell 209
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Bell 209 »

Very nice! If you'd like to make some static F-111s from Dave Friswell's AI F-111 we used for the RAAF AI package, I can send the FSDS source file to you if you send me your email.

The low res ground textures in FS9 don't do your scenery justice - in FSX it'd be sharp as! Good to see someone else working on ADF sceneries.