A bit of a problem

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

A bit of a problem

Post by Firebird »

Gents,
I have spent a rather frustrating two days NOT getting on with AI stuff as I encountered a problem with my FS9 and at best I have only temporarily got over it. It has sidetracked me, a lot. I wonder if anybody can provide me with the cause and a permanent solution.

The problem is that the ATC sound has stopped working. Nothing not a peep. Don't know when it stopped working exactly but it has. All other sound is fine and loud. I fact it may have been broken at the MAIW field for some considerable time.
The correct setting is ticked in FS9. The latest sound drivers were also loaded. I even found posts on the internet that said that these exact circumstances were caused by two MS built in .acm files were not in the catalog. They were but I re-installed them. Still no good.

I even went so far as to rename the FS9.cfg file and let it rebuild from scratch. This seemed to have the desired effect but when I started modding the parms back as it was previously it went missing again. I can't really narrow the problem down but it seems that either the MAIW airfield causes the problem, but ATC does work there at stages, or my attempts at removing the flying tips that now appear on the screen when using the TVB plane, I uncheck the option i the aircraft realism panel and it seems to blow up after that.

I should mention that I am only testing in two places EGLL and MAIW, it works in both and then won't work in both. I have also recompiled my EVP file in case of an error.

All ideas and suggestions gratetfully received, with the exception of 'upgrade to FSX' as I have read that it happens there too sometimes. :)
Steve
james84

Re: A bit of a problem

Post by james84 »

Sounds strange... in any sense of the word!
Have you tried to get the original sound folder from the game's discs and overwrite the one installed on your HD?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I will admit that I haven't tried that, no kind of re-install at all. This is purely because I wipe out the cfg file and it reappears. So I am kind of inclined, at the moment, to think that nothing is wrong with the basic install.

What is bugging me is that it seems to be either something that I am adding back into the cfg or I am hitting something in an afcad/afx/ade airfield file (comms?) that is causing it to stop working. I would really like to find out what so that I can fix, hopefully, the root of them problem.

I agree that the circumstances sound weird and I couldn't believe when I started searching on the web that quite a few have had this exact problem. Only the ATC sound goes.
Steve
james84

Post by james84 »

You don't actually need to reinstall the program, I meant you just have to get the original sound folder!
Wasn't there a "restore original soundpack" function in EditVoicePack?
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Have you messed with the Sound.cfg file in the main folder at all?
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Graham King
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by Graham King »

Sounds :) like a corruption in the file. Have you tried chkdsk. Otherwise get the original off the FS Discs and then rebuild it using EditVoicePack. It could be though that one of these is causing the problem.
Graham King

Why can’t they keep the colours in the bloody paint pots and just leave them grey

www.graham-king.me.uk

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
As luck would have it I think I have found the issue. It was pure luck that I found the item that was causing the issue, it appears to have been the default saved flt in my cfg file :?
The line when a new cfg is built is:-
SITUATION=
I tried all the parms that dealt with sound individually and they all worked until I added back my original line:-
SITUATION=C:\Documents and Settings\Steve\My Documents\Flight Simulator Files\Boscombe Down
Now why this should cause this is still eluding me and why it started affecting me after 5 years of the same flt file, and in the one narrow area, I don't know. So I setup a flight same as the previous one and saved a new default flt file with the same name. It only seems to be bl**dy working. I am able to get ground control at EGLL no problem and I am able to switch to MAIW and back again with no issues.

No wonder nobody on the Net could figure it out, that I was able to find.

Once I have completed my testing then I will definitely confirm this.
Steve
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK I feel that I have thrown everything at it and it seems to be stable and resilient. It seems that the default FLT was the problem. Go figure. Nearly 8 years after its release and it still throws up the odd new problem and fix.
Steve
Karaya
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Karaya »

In case you or anyone else comes across a similar problem again keep this page in mind:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;177252

I had the ATC sound disappear a few years ago,and had to do Method 3 to get it back.I think at the time I had installed a codec pack that messed up my sound.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Yep that is the two .acm sound files that I mentioned in the first post. I still had them but re-installed them anyway but it didn't fix this particular incarnation of the problem.
Steve
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

Post by CelticWarrior »

The ways and thoughts of the Microsoft Flight Sim programmer is many and varied, grasshopper.
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

A little off topic, but CelticWarrior do you realize that the ref to grasshopper might just fly past lots of our readers, as it is at least 35 year ago that that series was on air. Crap, we all all getting older!
Graham King
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by Graham King »

Not to show his age and ours, as we remember, perhaps use Young Jedi.
Graham King

Why can’t they keep the colours in the bloody paint pots and just leave them grey

www.graham-king.me.uk

Cianofranc
Captain
Captain

Post by Cianofranc »

Star wars?
The new digital version or the original one? :wink:
(I'm for the second choice!)
Luciano
Graham King
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by Graham King »

Unfortunately the original one. I remember taking a young lady, Alison was her name, to the original in Richmond, the cinema by the bridge. The opening sequence capturing the ship took my breath away.

I recovered later though to have a snog in the waterfront gardens walking her home.
Graham King

www.graham-king.me.uk

sr01
Major
Major

Post by sr01 »

Graham
SNOG ???
IN the waterfront gardens !!!!!!!!
Romantic scene coming up here so all of you under 18 ( and all those from the midwest USA)please look away from your screens
-------------------------------
Alison " Oh, it's so nice out tonight !!"
Graham "yeah ! want me to leave it out ?"
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

Post by CelticWarrior »

How on earth did we get from sound files to snogging, or are we just going through the alphabet and got stuck on 's'. If that's the case, let me tell you about my first sh ......

..... iny new car. :lol:
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
Graham King
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by Graham King »

I think I was under 18 at the time, so they do not need to look away.
Graham King

www.graham-king.me.uk