425 Sqn and the 134th FIS will be busy this morning.

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
sr01
Major
Major
Version: FS9

425 Sqn and the 134th FIS will be busy this morning.

Post by sr01 »

Don't be afraid. We're from the government and we're here to help .

http://communities.canada.com/ottawacit ... ility.aspx
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Re: 425 Sqn and the 134th FIS will be busy this morning.

Post by Firebird »

It remind me of a story doing the rounds when I was in the RAF about an exercise involving a mock attack on North America by our Vulcan force. Legend has it that the first that NORAD knew about it's arrival was when it popped up and called Approach for landing instructions.

Whether it is true, I can't say, but I remember the very strong hush-hush rumour doing the rounds. I don't know how many Vulcan's were involved or where it/they were headed for.

It was still a good rumour though.
Steve
USCG76
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by USCG76 »

Lower Canada's turn. We deal with this for real in the Arctic daily with 440Sq and our FOL system. But we get 410Sq CF188's for FOL Rotation.
Capt. Tim H. CAF 440Sq JTFN Wing 17 Arctic FOL NORAD Officer
aljude
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by aljude »

Firebird wrote:It remind me of a story doing the rounds when I was in the RAF about an exercise involving a mock attack on North America by our Vulcan force. Legend has it that the first that NORAD knew about it's arrival was when it popped up and called Approach for landing instructions.

Whether it is true, I can't say, but I remember the very strong hush-hush rumour doing the rounds. I don't know how many Vulcan's were involved or where it/they were headed for.

It was still a good rumour though.
Quote from Wiki:

Vulcans also took part in the 1960, 1961, and 1962 Operation Skyshield exercises, in which NORAD defences were tested against possible Soviet air attack, the Vulcans simulating Soviet fighter/bomber attacks against New York, Chicago and Washington. The results of the tests were classified until 1997

IIRC they once dropped leaflets on New York.. leaving a puzzled public and a few red faces in Norad

Tony
Time travel does exist, i just discovered it next week...
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

This is related in full in a book on the Vulcan I've got. It is all true, The Vulcans were using a new British radar jammer which meant the USAF defences were blinded.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
clarke123
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by clarke123 »

VulcanDriver wrote:This is related in full in a book on the Vulcan I've got. It is all true, The Vulcans were using a new British radar jammer which meant the USAF defences were blinded.
Could I trouble you for the title and author? Sounds very interesting.
veni, vidi, spurius brutus deitrum covi - I came, I saw, I tore the thick bastards limb from limb