RAF Coningsby 121 Expeditionary Air Wing package by MAIW

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
alexrfixit
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by alexrfixit »

btaylo24 wrote:Hi

Its not something I have seen, or was seen during beta.
Are u using MAIW scenery (no other, and no duplicate AFCADS)

Is it hapening all the time?
And where about are you seeing this?

Anyone else have this issue?

BArry
I'm only using the MAIW scenery & AFCADS, have checked for duplicates. The aircraft that I have seen have this problem are not from the MAIW flightplans, they are from my own plans, a coupla Spitfires, a Hurricane and a Lancaster trying to represent the BBMF. They exit the runway to the left, and sometimes they turn around on the runway and taxi back to the exit/entry at the beginning of the runway. ATC advuses them to change frequency, they acknowledge, and that's where they stay till they disappear. Having acknowledged the frequency change, they do not contact ground for taxi instructions.
Where did I put my beer??!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Alex,
It sounds like there are no slots for them to park in, have you altered the afcad in anyway? Also what are parking radius setting for all your aircraft that have this problem?
Steve
alexrfixit
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by alexrfixit »

Steve

I had altered the AFCAD slightly, adding a new parking space, but I have since re-instated the original MAIW AFCAD to make sure it wasn't my changes that were causing the problem. There are three parking spaces to the north-west of the airfield which seem to be designated for the Spitfie & Hurricane, and two military cargo spaces which are big enough for the Lanc to park in (radius on the Lanc is 16m/52.5ft). Any suggestion would be welcome!!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Alex,
If you don't mind, PM me the text files that make up the traffic file that contain your Spit, Hurri and Lanc flights. Also if you could include the aircraft.cfg files from those planes I shall have a look to see if I can see anything.
Steve
alexrfixit
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by alexrfixit »

Firebird wrote:Alex,
If you don't mind, PM me the text files that make up the traffic file that contain your Spit, Hurri and Lanc flights. Also if you could include the aircraft.cfg files from those planes I shall have a look to see if I can see anything.
Will do, thanks for taking the time to have a look.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK, just for people interested in the problem and its outcome.

The problem was that the BBMF aircraft had such a short landing and stopping distance that FS9 tried to get the aircraft off the runway at either the lazy runway or backtrack to the 07 threshold as it was the closest exit point.

Now the lazy runway is deliberately not connected, to avoid potential problems, by Magic Mike. When the aircraft realize this they also backtrack to the 07 threshold, but there is no exiting allowed there in Mike's scheme, for the same reasons stated earlier.

I should emphasize that there is no design flaw with the afcad, Mike knows what he is doing and designs things a specific way for a reason and I for one do not question this.
The solution, as I saw it, was one of two methods. The first was to alter the individual fde's so that the rollout was long enough so that the aircraft did not attempt to backtrack. The second was for Alex to make a personalized mod to his afcad, to join the lazy runway to he taxi system.

Alex has now got his aircraft working OK. Hopefully this explanation will be helpful to others who have a similar problem.

I think that its only fair to point out that Mike provides afcads as a complete solution. He will always try to help sort out issues with his afcads that have been left unmodified, but if you modify them you and you get problems you may very well have to sort them out yourself.
Steve
alexrfixit
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by alexrfixit »

As a PS to what Steve has posted, I have got my BBMF aircraft behaving now, with a small change to the AFCAD, but in doing this I have accepted that I may get the occasional taxi conflict as a result (which was why Mike had closed the lazy runway in the first place). Having examined Mike's AFCAD in trying to solve this problem, it's made me realise how much work people like Mike put in to get these things to work properly, and I would just like to thank everyone involved for the great things they're giving us FOR FREE!!

BTW, just watched the 12-ship flypasts included with the package - thats the most spectacular thing I've seen in Flightsim - wonderful job!! :D
btaylo24
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: P3D

Post by btaylo24 »

Alex

Glad you like it..Alot of people sent alot of time on that package, and comments like yours make it all worthwhile..

Cheers Mate :D

Barry
Savage
Captain
Captain

Post by Savage »

This is the first pack for a major part of the RAF that I have downloaded and decided to keep using the original plans rather than do my own.
Basically, I think it's fantastic! 8)
Awol
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Awol »

It's amazing to me the quality of work you guys are doing for free. :shock: Excellent stuff. Thanks so much.
flapper1
Cadet
Cadet

Coningsby MOD Employee

Post by flapper1 »

Been waiting a long time for this-thanks for all the hard work. I watched the last Jags leave Coningsby this afternoon for disposal so am looking forward to recreating more flights for them with your wonderful paackage.
Once again thank you.
Keith Jones
Captain
Captain

Post by Keith Jones »

First of all let me say what a fantastic job the production team has done with Coningsby. After I had installed it (no problems there) I was greatly impressed to see my frame rates shoot up to the 50s from my more usual mid 20s. Stunning!

Now, please excuse my ignorance, but what is a 'lazy runway'?

Oh, and something that I couldn't work out: When I landed a VC10 there and contacted Ground, there were no options other than to taxi for take-off again. I would have liked to have had the opportunity to park at one of the Mil_Cargo spots (yes, my 10 will fit those spots).
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

A laxy runway is usally a term given to an old, disused secondary runway that is no longer kept in condition to be used as such and thus is only really used as a taxiway/pan/emergency runway in very extreme cases.

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Steve and Alex have been very kind, but I simply forgot to remove those experimental and insufficiently tested BBMF parking spots from the EGXC AFCAD prior to final release of the MAIW RAF Coningsby package. My apologies to Alex or anyone else that has had problems trying to use them.

The only good thing to come of my faux pas is that it motivated me to spend the better part of the day today creating an adjusted set of 3 EGXC AFCADs that do allow any BBMF AI using the BBMF parking spots to integrate quite well into the rest of this package with only one minor compromise, which most users would probably never notice.

I am still testing these, but so far they allow Short TO&L AI to depart Rwy 7 to the northwest at the Lazy and the Normal TO&L AI to continue to depart Rwy 7 in either direction at the Rwy 25 end. I was able to accomplish this while minimizing ground traffic conflicts by integrating the Lazy taxi route into the north side drive through parking taxi route network. Of course I had to make a number of other adjustments to make everything completely compatible, but so far it works quite well.

BTW...Is anyone aware of FS9 BBMF AI or appropriate aircraft models with BBMF repaints that can be converted to AI?

Mike
Awol
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Awol »

mikewmac wrote: BTW...Is anyone aware of FS9 BBMF AI or appropriate aircraft models with BBMF repaints that can be converted to AI?
I've been using the Wings of Power bombers. The external paint is all on one texture sheet and you can delete most of the others. The fps hit for one plane isn't much at all.

Anyone have flightplans for the BBMF? :)
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Mike,

They are not exactly fitting the bill required, but the Spit and Hurricane that Alex used was the Spit 1A and Hurri I included in any of Gary Burns freeware packages on Fltsim.com, for Croyden, biggin Hill or Croyden.

I have to say I was quite impressed by the FDE for them, but they may not meet your standards but quite gentle on lift off like the real things. The Spit 1A could pass for the II, if the BBMF still has it. Maybe somebody fancies knocking up a quick paint job.
Steve
Keith Jones
Captain
Captain

Post by Keith Jones »

Thanks for the replies to my question about what a Lazy Runway is. Now I know :D

May I ask the reason for there being no parking spaces for transport aircraft? Surely there would be parking available for these aircraft when, for example, the various fighter squadrons deploy elsewhere on exercise/operation.
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

Yes I can answer that whole heartedly and frankly, because it is a bug bear in my real life dealings at coningsby.

Coningsby does not have suffficient Crash cover to handle transport aircraft. The Fire tender neccessary is deployed to the middle east and so they can only cover fighters. However they seem to be able to manage it when the spanish are coming this week. Theyve had to borrow a tender from another unit. But they will never put one in when we want it.

Sorry thats my rant over. Hope that answers your question. Sometime in the future coningsby may get its crash cat back but I cant see it in the foreseeable future.

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Firebird wrote:Mike,

They are not exactly fitting the bill required, but the Spit and Hurricane that Alex used was the Spit 1A and Hurri I included in any of Gary Burns freeware packages on Fltsim.com, for Croyden, biggin Hill or Croyden.

I have to say I was quite impressed by the FDE for them, but they may not meet your standards but quite gentle on lift off like the real things. The Spit 1A could pass for the II, if the BBMF still has it. Maybe somebody fancies knocking up a quick paint job.
Thanks Steve,

I'll check them out and use them to further test my BBMF EGXC AFCAD changes.

Mike
Keith Jones
Captain
Captain

Post by Keith Jones »

Thanks for that very forthright answer, Nick. It's appreciated.
Where ever you go, there you are.