The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Anybody want more (simple) scenery?

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Re: Anybody want more (simple) scenery?

Post by Jim »

I've submitted another mixed bag of airfields to the scenery library. As before, they are made for P3Dv4 and untested in FSX. A fair number are retro helicopter bases.

Untested FS9 versions here.

Jim
Attachments
FS9 versions of pt.8.zip
(2.11 MiB) Downloaded 45 times
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

Part 9 uploaded: More simple scenery for air bases I can't find anywhere (though I have since found a few for previous parts, sorry). I started all this by filling gaps in flight plans, but have got a bit carried away as you can tell by now :oops:

About two fifths of this collection are in China. Scramble also lists about 30 Army helicopter bases, which I'm considering adding at some time, though the AI is mostly unavailable as far as I can see.

Usual caveats:
I have tried to place most airports accurately according to Google Earth, but I don't have accurate vectors outside Europe, so maybe some placements will look better for you than they do for me.
I mostly use standard or MAIW object libraries, and try to mention any others required in the notes, but in most cases they are simple representations.
No photo-real backgrounds and people, navaids, lighting effects and taxiway signs are almost always absent. Taxi paths are simple, so best not overloaded with busy flight plans.
Created for P3Dv4.5, but may work backwards to FSX. FS9 versions are untested and are provided here for you to tweak yourselves (e.g. parking spot sizes) to get them working.
Feel free to make improvements and re-upload to MAIW. Not for commercial gain.

Dear Santa,
While admiring the Field Carrier Landing Practice models uploaded here recently for the US Navy, I came across Huangdicun, China (N40° 30.0000',E120° 39.4332') and made a simple scenery "ZX19".
It reminded me of Pax River, so I have left space for overlays & objects for ski jumps & catapults.
Shenyang J-15 AI is available (developed from Su-33), but this base is crying out for FCLP models for said objects (and carrier versions for the Fujian when it sails) :)

Jim
Attachments
Huangdicun centre.JPG
Huangdicun north.JPG
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

Another pic & my simple afcad. Heli overlay goes in front of the north west hangars of the afcad.
Attachments
Huangdicun starter.JPG
Huangdicun south.JPG
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

FS9 preview.
Attachments
FS9 versions of pt.9.zip
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 33 times
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Many thanks for your continuing supply of these, Jim.
Steve
Jobza Guddun
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by Jobza Guddun »

Thanks for your time with these Jim!
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

Big thanks from here, Jim.

In 1970 I was doing my National Service (draft to the Americans, Wehrpflicht in German) at EKAH/Tirstrup AB in Denmark, and we had a visit from No. 819 Sqn. RN with their Wessex HAS 3s from the former RAF Ballykelly.

Jorgen
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Enjoy the flashback Jorgen! I wish I'd taken more care over 'my' 1980s Ballykelly now, but struggled a bit selecting hangars and other buildings.
I contemplated doing an RAF version for the Shackletons & visitors, but 60s/70s is beyond my scope and I don't have the info.
Mind you as a teenage Air Cadet at 70s Cottesmore/Coningsby/Kinloss my retro setups there are loaded with Canberras, Phantoms, early Nimrods and the like :P

Oh, and I'd previously added some mil parking at Vidan Design's Aarhus scenery for myself for a few retro AI that went there. I take it Tirstrup's shelters were occupied at some time, at least for exercises?

Jim
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

Jim,

It could look like you have the first edition on Vidan's Aarhus scenery. I had that one too, and wrote to John/Vidan about the missing shelters and also the little marina across from Aarhus at Skødshoved Strand, where my family used to have a summer home. John then went on a bicycle ride over there with permission to enter Tirstrup, and placed the shelters in what is today's Aarhus scenery (and added the marina too).

When I was at Tirstrup the shelters were not there, they only were built in 1971/1972, as I recall. Tirstrup never had units stationed there, it was always a deployment base mainly for No. 723 Sqn. RDAF based in Aalborg, but from what I heard also for 2 Jaguar squadrons of the RAF (one of which was maybe No. 41 Sqn?).

Jorgen
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

Thanks for your insights Jorgen. I think I have his latest scenery. Never noticed the marina until now!