The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Installing MAIW packages in FSX

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

That doesn't sound very good, Jack.

I can't help much further as I don't have fsx installed, but where did you put the new maverick bgl?
Steve
Holy Cheese
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by Holy Cheese »

Same place as always Steve - scenery\world\scenery.

It's no biggie, but I find it strange that some fp's convert ok for me with FP_FS9_FSX and some don't seem to.

Cheers
Jack
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

You might contact Peter. It might be revealing a bug he could fix.

Ron
Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Ford Friendly »

Actually, I occasionally run into the same issue - some fp's convert from FS9 format to FSX bgl format directly and others don't.

Some fp's that do not convert directly using FP_FS9_FSX.exe will convert correctly under AIFPC. Others are the mirror of that.

If neither works directly - that is, just by selecting the "fs9.bgl" version and hitting convert, I decompile the bgl into txt files using Ttools, recompile it using Ttools, and then retry to convert it using FP_FS9_FSX.exe.

Another alternate method is using FP_FS9_FSX.exe to try to convert/compile it from the text files.

So far, over 98% of the bgl's I've tried work using some part of this method. The "conversion lesson/document" Celtic Warrior made available only suggests using FP_FS9_FSX.exe -- I tried AIFPC after running into the first FS9 format bgl that wouldn't convert properly for me.

Since I have no interest in the Maverick motorcycle bgl, I haven't tried it... trying AIFPC might be worth your time. It's available on avsim.

Good luck.

Ford.
Holy Cheese
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by Holy Cheese »

Hi Ford,

yes, I've run into the same issues as you, and have done the same steps before to solve it. I used AIFPC first in this case, bzt it won't compile it because the flight level is 0.

Like I said, it's no biggie though, I can live without Mav as long as I have those beautiful Tomcats, and I had no problem with those fps.

Cheers
Jack
Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Ford Friendly »

deleted by Ford
this was meant to be a pm not a forum post...
Aaron100
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Aaron100 »

I Get Stuck On Making The AI folder bit can anyone go over that in more detail?
TJSJ
Cadet
Cadet

I tried

Post by TJSJ »

I tried to follow all the instructions on the first post but I couldn't. No aircraft showed... There is any one who have a better instructions to accomplihed this task ... I love MAIW being a Military retired. Your Help is appreciated in advance
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

Post by CelticWarrior »

If we're to help, you need to give a little more information as to what exactly it is that you don't understand.
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
hibbs
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by hibbs »

ok, got Valley converted - ithink, no hawks on the ground, 1 in teh air and it is white, ie has no textures.

What have i done wrong - followed instructions twice! (As best i could)
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

Are you using Vista/DX10 FSX?
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
hibbs
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by hibbs »

Yep running Vista and DX10 preview mode - do i need to turn DX10 off?
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

I'm given to believe that most textures for FS9 aircraft are unviewable in DX10 mode. As to aircraft on the ground, have you double checked that the AFCAD files are all installed in the correct place?
hibbs
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by hibbs »

Decided just to install stright to FSX automatically and not worry about the 'day of the week' issue, all working fine - depending on the day!
TheAaron.com
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I Dont Get This Bit

Post by TheAaron.com »

Installation

Follow the on-screen prompts, but instead of installing to the default directory, click the radio button to the right and select a temporary directory of your choice. Personally I create a folder in My Documents called Temp and another inside that for the package, e.g. MAIW 89th AW Andrews AFB.

Step 1) Move all the aircraft folders to the AI Aircraft folder you created earlier. Ensure all panel folders are removed to prevent the aircraft showing up in the user aircraft menu.

1a) Move the effects to the FSX effects folder.

Step 2) Copy all the AF2 files across to the Microsoft Flight Simulator X/Addon Scenery/Scenery folder and then the MAIW Scenery Library Objects folder to the Microsoft Flight Simulator X/Addon Scenery folder.

Step 3) Install the voicepacks as described. At 3d) you'll need to navigate to the temp directory you created earlier during the manual install.

After this back up all the *.gvp files in Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Sound\ATC and then move EVP*.gvp from Flight Simulator 9\Sound to that folder.

(Complete Step 5) before 4)).

Step 4) Substitute FSX for FS9 and not forgetting there's no need to exit and restart FSX after enabling the scenery. :-)

Step 5) Move the traffic .bgl files to your FP_FS9_FSX folder and convert them in accordance with the instructions contained with that programme. The converted files will have the suffix *_FSX.bgl. Move those files to Microsoft Flight Simulator X/Scenery/World/Scenery.

Soundai

One of the advanced features of FSX is the ability for AI to have more realistic sounds. This can achieved by creating a soundai folder in each aircraft folder and create a soundai.cfg file like this;

[FLTSIM]
product_code=FSIM
alias=SimObjects\Airplane\[whichever aircraft]\soundai

Alternately I recommend Traffic_Sounds_FSX by Alan Constable (payware).

You Say Follow The On Screen Prompts, What Prompts? :roll:
Cactuskid
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Cactuskid »

Hi all... This is my first post here. I use FSX and have installed all the MAIW packages with excellent results. They have really brought my military bases to life! Most of the aircraft look great, however, the canopy glass texture on some models won't show. This is a problem on some flyable FS9 aircraft that I have ported to FSX, and I assume the problem is related. Is there a fix for this? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for the new Davis-Monthan package! I live a couple of miles from the base... I'm really looking forward to the next great AI package from MAIW! You guys rock! :smt003 :smt039
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

I think this is a known issue with using these FS9 models in FSX. I don't believe there is a fix though someone will correct me if I am wrong.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

Transparent canopy issues is mentioned in the doc that can be downloaded at the top of this thread. I believe the issue has to do with changing an alpha channel in the texture, but I'm not qualified to comment on that.

Ron
muppi
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by muppi »

Greeting All,
I recently coverted to FSX, dont ask me why as it's a pain in the well you get the message.
I downloaded MAIW RAF Tornado Gr4's package the scenery is great but no aircraft.
I have followed the tutorial to the letter with one exception fs9tofsx won't work on the traffic.bgl's as it says that they are too old like me, so I used
bglfpfsxconvert and by enlarge works very well with World of AI.
So I don't understand why when I used bglfpfsxconvert on the MAIW package no aircraft appeared.
The aircraft are in SimObject.6=SimObjects\AIAircraft and the Traffic.bgls are in Scenery\World\Scenery, the AF2's are in Addon\Scenery\Scenery.
My OS is Windows XP Pro SP3
Directx 9c
Thank You,
Dave.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Hi Dave,
I am sorry that I can't help here as I don't have FSX installed. Hopefully somebody else will be able to though.
Steve