The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Installing MAIW packages in FSX

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by Ford Friendly »

The standard thing to check is that afcads with sufficient and correctly lablelled parking are available for all flightplans - on both ends of the flightplan route.

If that is not the case, you need to find, get, create those to have the aircraft show up.

If you have installed the package correctly, even after traffic.bgl conversion, you should still be able to decompile it to examine the Airports.txt and Flightplans.txt files to identify all the afcads required.

If it hasn't been converted correctly, then use tTools to decompile the bgl into the relevant txt files.

Seriously, this is where I find most of my problems occur when converting and installing fp.bgls from fs9 to fsx.

The second most common thing that causes aircraft to not show up, for me at least, is ensuring that FSX looks for the AI aircraft in the correct place - for me, ..\simobjects\AI_military-aircraft\
The place to make such an entry or change is pertty obvious ehn editing the file.
This is a folder I created to separate AI from flyables and military from commercial liveries. There's an entry that I made in one of the config files, whose name escapes me right now, that allowed me to add that as a valid folder for FSX to look in for aircraft.

Good luck

Edited. The config file I mentioned is simply FSX.cfg. Dunno why I didn't remember that earlier.
muppi
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by muppi »

Well I have tried just about everything, aircraft no show, my hobby is not fltsims but trying to fix problems within fltsims, and no show aircraft won't beat me, this is a red flag to a bull sort of problem, and I'm convinced it's an easy fix but I will be blowed if I can find it.
Configured AF2's for Arrival\destination (fs9tofsx corrected for FSX)
Configured Traffic.bgls (Decompile Run TTools)
Aircraft correctly placed within FSX
FSX.cfg correctly configured SimObject............
Is there something Ive missed.
Many thanks to you both for taking the time to help crack this problem I really appreciate it.
Dave
muppi
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by muppi »

Cracked it, problem solved, I have found two GR4's so now it's an AFCAD thing.
What did I do, started from scratch got rid of all the configured files everything that I had configured did a basic install no mods just as I would put the package in fs9 I did the same in FSX and it worked.
Ok you might laugh two GR4's it's a step in the right direction, a bit more work on AFCAD and thats it.
Thanks you again guys.
Dave.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Dave,
Sorry for butting in here, but you said that you corrected the afcad files, why do you need to to that. I believe that it should work as they stand, from what I have read.

If you have two aircraft showing up then look at the size of the parking spots, quite often its a case that the model is too big for the slot. Which airfield(s) are causing you the problem? Can you confirm that you don't have any duplicate afcads for the airfields that you have problems with?
Steve
muppi
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by muppi »

Hi No problem, I'm happy that you butt in, yes I did have a problem with multiple AF2's, which I have deleted in favour of the MAIW default AF2.
I am currently correcting the parking size to mil combat 84.3 this is working fine as more GR4's are showing up and I am completely satisfied with the result.
I have Jaguars at Coltishall, Typhoon and GR4's at Coningsby and Tornado F3's at Leuchars (43F my old Sqn).
Now to try your Harrier package :lol:
As someone I forget who said "I will be back".
Again many thanks don't you just love these learning curves.
Dave.
Correction to the mil parking 85.3
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

muppi wrote: Again many thanks don't you just love these learning curves.
Dave.
That's why we have stuck with FS9...hell, we're still learning how to do things!
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
muppi
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by muppi »

I just bought FSX as an evaluation, I still have fs9 on my D drive all 200Gb of it.
I wondered what all the fuss of FSX was about curiosity killed the cat I guess, all in I like FSX and I have the option fs9 or FSX as I choose.
FSX has given me a greater challange solving problems such as the current one which has been sorted.
By the way loads of GR4's and Harriers thank you for these great packages.
AS they say each to there own.
Dave.
Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Ford Friendly »

One thing to remember about "converting" from FS9 to FSX.... the "standards" for parking spots/sizes have changed.

FSX parking wingspan is sized in feet "up front" (actually 1/2 the wingspan) but is actually calculated behind the scenes in meters. So, there can be aggravating surprises in trying to get things that work easily in FS9 to work in FSX if you don't check and double check afcad parking beforehand.

Just one of those niggling little things that I learned the hard way.
muppi
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by muppi »

Thanks for that, everything is looking good now, all I'm waiting for is some decent scenery for RAF airfields.
All my parking has come out well, even the default airfields, Scampton is still looking for attention.
Again thank you for all you help.
Dave.
retnavycpo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Your wonderful EP-3 Package!

Post by retnavycpo »

First off, I want to thank everyone for designing and releasing this package! I retired from VQ-1 at NAS Whidbey Island in 1997, and this release means a great deal to me. Thank you , thank you, THANK YOU!!

Now then, with regards to this package working in FSX. Scott1 stated in a previous post:
scott1 wrote:here's a funny thing. If you install the package into fsx it works without using any of the conversion programs. I have Osan installed in fsx and it has ai aircraft at the base and in the air. :roll:
I am not a purist for the most part, so I don't care if the aircraft are operating on incorrect days/times, etc.... So with that in mind, will this package install the same way into FSX as it will FS9? Or do I need to install manually?

Thanks again.

Pete
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Your wonderful EP-3 Package!

Post by CelticWarrior »

retnavycpo wrote:I am not a purist for the most part, so I don't care if the aircraft are operating on incorrect days/times, etc.... So with that in mind, will this package install the same way into FSX as it will FS9? Or do I need to install manually?

Thanks again.

Pete
You will need to install it manually as the file structure of FSX differs from FS9.
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
muppi
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by muppi »

Hi retnavycpo,
My advice would be to install any MAIW Package manually, as you have to be carefull with the AF2's and the MAIW exclude bgl's.
If you do a search on avsim for Jim Cook he has done an excellent Military USAF and USN Base's for FSX, also he has done a nice rendition of NAS Whidbey Island.
Basically there is no need to use the MAIW AF2's except the destination AF2's which should be corrected to FSX parking standard, also you might find the odd tree or bush on the ramp.
I hope this helps, and yes I agree with you THANK YOU MAIW.
retrafsgt
Dave.
retnavycpo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by retnavycpo »

Thanks for your replies. To be honest, I have never figured out how to use AI correctly. AFCAD files, flight plans, etc..... Maybe someday, if I can just hook up with someone on TS for some one on one tutorials, I could finally understand it all. Am afraid to install any of it without making sure first.

Pete
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

To be honest, that's exactly why I wrote the install guide. I thought it worked quite well as a step-by-step talk-through of the manual installation of MAIW packages in FSX. Are you saying you can't follow it? Or are you afraid to follow it?
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
retnavycpo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by retnavycpo »

Hi Celtic,

To be honest, I have not read your guide. I have tried following other guides for AI, but I WILL make an effort to read yours, and see if I can finally achieve success with AI.

Thanks.

Pete
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

OK Pete, that's why I started this thread. For people using my guide.
retnavycpo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by retnavycpo »

Thanks again, Celtic.

I have downloaded the guide, and will print it out this evening!

Pete
muppi
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by muppi »

Greetings all,
Would someone be good enough to explain the usage of TTOOLS in FSX as I have been trying for a while populate North Island NAS.
I have a small AI pack (KNZY) for fs9 with AI Aircraft and flightplans.
Thank you.
Dave.
muppi
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by muppi »

It's ok I cracked it, it was just a case of getting the flightplans to conform with fsx, now I have F18's C130's and a smatering of Helicopters, a step in the right direction.
Dave
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Its good to see that your efforts have paid off.
Steve