The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

NAS Miramar Top Gun package by MAIW

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
dongi
Cadet
Cadet

RE: Love it, but do have a problem

Post by dongi »

Firebird said:
Well I don't know your particular circumstances, but I just loaded up FS9 and searching for San Diego I got 12 airports, admittedly 5 are related to this package.
The only thing that I can think of that can cause your symptoms is that either you have switched off your default Western North America, or its install has become corrupt. I had a similar situation once, and didn't realise it.

This would explain why addon scenery is showing but no default scenery.
Does this help?

Thanks Firebird. I wasn't aware that I could switch off default scenery. (I'm fairly new at this :oops: ). Can you tell me where this is done in FS9?

I hope I haven't corrupted anything. That happened once before and I had to completely re-install FS9.

Don
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

OK, On FS9 startup go into Settings from the panel, then Scenery Library.
Right near the bottom of the list, where the highest priority numbers are, you will find Western North America and it should be ticked.

If it is not then tick it, and restart. If it is not there then you haven't installed all of the scenery and you will need to go back to your install disks for that.
I am assuming that you can install scenery that you didn't originally, if not then a re-install may be your only way. Somebody else will have to provide the info on that part.

Let us know how you get on.
Steve
dongi
Cadet
Cadet

Post by dongi »

Steve said:
OK, On FS9 startup go into Settings from the panel, then Scenery Library.
Right near the bottom of the list, where the highest priority numbers are, you will find Western North America and it should be ticked.

If it is not then tick it, and restart. If it is not there then you haven't installed all of the scenery and you will need to go back to your install disks for that.
I am assuming that you can install scenery that you didn't originally, if not then a re-install may be your only way. Somebody else will have to provide the info on that part.

Let us know how you get on.

Well I tried what you said Steve and unfortunately that was not the problem. I wish I could figure out why only the airports in the San Diego area are gone except North Island. I'll poke around some more and see if I can find something that will lead me to the problem. If not, then a re-install just might be necessary. Thanks for all your help. It really is appreciated.
Don
dongi
Cadet
Cadet

RE: Love it, but do have a problem

Post by dongi »

It's fixed!!! :D I added a couple of add-on's for the San Diego area and I got San Diego Intl (KSAN) back with some great improvements. Also added some refinements to the surrounding area including the USS Midway. I didn't get any of the small airfields back (i.e. Gillespie field) but I never used it in FS9 anyway. Again, thanks for your help Steve. :!:
Don
Misha_K

Post by Misha_K »

ronniegj wrote:Misha, you problem is almost certainly a bad texture file. Possible it was currupted during the download process. You can either redownload and extract to a separate folder and then exchange texture files one by one, which I think would be stupid and wasteful of your time, or you can just remove (completely) the package and re-install a newly downloaded copy.

This does not happen on my system, or on any of the other systems of those whom have tested or tried out this package, which means the problem is on your system only, and not with the package.

Good luck.

Ron
Reinstalling the textures seems to have done the trick. Thanks! Great package! The perfect environment for the Iris F-14.

While we are at it, a few small comments on the package:

1. The AFCAD file is a bit of a mess. There are a ton of unconnected nodes, duplicate taxiways, superfluous nodes, etc.

2. The way the AFCAD file is set up, all runways are open for both takeoffs and landings. Given that all the parking spots are to the north, this results in only the northern runway being used for both takeoffs and landings. At peak times there is too much traffic for a single runway and this setup results in a number of disappearing planes and a lot of go-arounds. I've fixed my AFCAD file so it only uses the northern runway for takeoffs and the southern runway for landings.

3. Any chance for an IRIAF F-14A package? :D
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

3. Were waiting for you to make it.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

Misha_K wrote:...While we are at it, a few small comments on the package:

1. The AFCAD file is a bit of a mess. There are a ton of unconnected nodes, duplicate taxiways, superfluous nodes, etc.

2. The way the AFCAD file is set up, all runways are open for both takeoffs and landings. Given that all the parking spots are to the north, this results in only the northern runway being used for both takeoffs and landings. At peak times there is too much traffic for a single runway and this setup results in a number of disappearing planes and a lot of go-arounds. I've fixed my AFCAD file so it only uses the northern runway for takeoffs and the southern runway for landings...
The AFCAD file is nowhere near a mess... it was made that way intentionally. It allows for drive through parking as well as better aesthetics. Mike did a great job on it.

Aircraft will land on the southern runway depending on where they are coming from. I have several transients land on the southern runway.
--Chris
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Working on one of my Excel files,I've found a very little error in one of the BGLs coming with the package.

Decompiling Traffic_MAIW_TOPGUN_NSAWC.bgl, in the Aircract file, the AC#32 should be
AC#32,500,"MAIW_NBAI_F14A_Tomcat_Dry_NAWC"
instead of
AC#32,500,"MAIW_NBAI_F14A_Tomcat_Dry_vf24_205"

That's all. :wink:

Bye
baz
Cadet
Cadet

NAS Miramar Topgun Package

Post by baz »

Hi,

New to the forum, & really enjoying the packages, though have a problem with the Top Gun package, every thing works fine with the exception of the Fly By.
Have set up the Sat. GMT times but no sign of the Flyby, one Rage a/craft departs but that's it, any ideas.
No probs watching Mav on the motorbike.

Thanks,
Baz
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Hi Baz,
Well I have just tested this my self and it works fine. You have to select 21:20 at the doc says and then wait the 9 mins before they get to you.

Now if you are doing that, then there are a number of causes of this.
One that the Miramar scenery has not been added to your scenery list (I would discount this as your mention that you see Maverick and that traffic bgl is in the same place).
Another is that the Traffic_TOPGUN_FLYBY.bgl is missing, the last major cause would be if the F14A Tomcat Dry 4Ship aircraft is not installed in your aircraft folder.

Can you double check these things please. If it is not this then it is likely to be a very obscure thing. Also can you confirm that you don't get the either the diamond flyby or the diamond low approaches at the later time.
Steve
baz
Cadet
Cadet

NAS Miramar Top Gun

Post by baz »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Have checked everything you asked about & all are in the correct files.

I haven't been able to see any of the 4- ship Fly by sequences including the departure sequence.

Maybe I should delete everything & re install the package.

Thanks,
Baz
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

Is your Traffic percentage turned upto 100%? Possible you are not seeing the right amount of aircraft. Just a thought?

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
baz
Cadet
Cadet

NAS Miramar Top Gun

Post by baz »

Hi Nick,

Traffic was at 84% bumped up to 100% , no difference.

At the moment have Rage 203 start up at about 2029 & also Hellcat 106 start up not not long after, no sign of other Rage a/craft starting up for the 4 ship Fly by.

Baz
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

Check to make sure you do not have duplicate AFCADs for Miramar (KNKX) it maybe that you are not seeing all the aircraft that should be there.

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
baz
Cadet
Cadet

NAS Miramar Top Gun

Post by baz »

Nick,

Checked & only have;

MAIW_AF2_KNKX_DEFAULT_DK.bgl
&
MAIW_KNKX_exclude.BGL

Baz
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Re: NAS Miramar Top Gun

Post by mikewmac »

baz wrote:Nick,

Checked & only have;

MAIW_AF2_KNKX_DEFAULT_DK.bgl
&
MAIW_KNKX_exclude.BGL

Baz
Baz,

There are no MAIW_AF2_KNKX_DEFAULT_DK.bgl & MAIW_KNKX_exclude.BGL files included in the MAIW NAS Miramar package. All the NAS Miramar AFCADs for the MAIW NAS Miramar Topgun package are in your Flight Simulator 9/Addon Scenery/MAIW Miramar NAS/Scenery folder and should be named MAIW_AF2_KNKX_RETRO.bgl, AF2_2NKX.bgl, AF2_3NKX.bgl, AF2_4NKX.bgl and AF2_9NKX.bgl. There are also 22 different exclude bgl files included in that folder.

I think what has happened is that you have the MAIW USN/USMC K/C-130 Package installed and the MAIW_AF2_KNKX_DEFAULT_DK.bgl & MAIW_KNKX_exclude.BGL files that you found in your Flight Simulator 9/Addon Scenery/Scenery folder are from that package and should be either deleted or placed in a backup folder because the MAIW_AF2_KNKX_DEFAULT_DK.bgl file is a duplicate KNKX AFCAD that is probably causing your problem.

Mike
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Baz,
I have checked the source of the MAIW_TOPGUN_AirWing9.bgl and the flights are definitely there.

I watched them all go on my system.

Have you got a tool that will enable to display flightplans from a particular base, if not i can recommend a very good one that is like the Swiss Army knife of AI management.
Steve
theoklahomaaviator
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by theoklahomaaviator »

I would be intersted to know what that traffic mangaement program is Firebird??
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

No problem, mate. ACA2005 from here http://aifs.pvdveen.net/. Its real quality, I first used it to clean up all sorts of errors I had in my AI system, but never realised. It can also delete schemes, display traffic schedules, display all the flights in a bgl and a lot more.

IMO, it is one of the few indispensable tools. Read the Doc to see what it needs to work, install it and play around with it. One of the nice tools is that it will tell you which bgl(s) a particular aircraft title is used in.

Enjoy playing with it. What it won't do is create flightplans for you, but it will do most other things.
Steve
baz
Cadet
Cadet

NAS Miramar Top Gun

Post by baz »

Hi Mike,

Have only downloaded Special use Mentors, Whiting Field & Top Gun packages & when installed KAFW,KNIP,KNKX,KNSE & KNTU,default files were installed in Addon Scenery/Scenery folder as well as KNKX & KNIP exclude files.
Did spot the 4 ship flt today but it only came within 6 miles then headed out to sea, tried it again same thing so I slotted in behind the flt & followed it back for a missed approach to Runway 6R the time was 22.58Z about 20 mins later than the readme time.
Haven't spotted them coming back yet, so may have to follow them all the way around when I have time, just wondering if the time may be my problem.

Steve,
Will download that tool you recommended & have a look at the plans.
Have looked at the AirWing 9 plans previously but couldn't find the Sat dept. for the 4 ship flt, maybe I just missed it.

Thanks for your help guys, will keep on playing around until I get it right.

Baz