The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

NAS Miramar Top Gun package by MAIW

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Aha,
Baz, which did you install first the Topgun package or the Special Use Mentors package?

The reason is that it does say in the Mentor docs that KNKX afcad in that package, is intended for use with that packe and the USN/USMC Herks package. The Topgun package has completely different afcad, maybe the problem is the Mentor afcad means that there is not a much parking available for the F-14s so they don't show up.

Try ensuring that you are using the Topgun afcad, keep the other one safe, this should mean that all 4 the Tomcats appear. There shouldn't be a problem with the Mentors either, but check.
Steve
baz
Cadet
Cadet

NAS Miramar Top Gun

Post by baz »

Steve,

Think I did install the Special Use Mentors Package before the Top gun Package.

Might uninstall my 3 packages & then re install starting with the Top Gun Package & then see if that works before proceeding with the Whiting Field Package & then the Special Use Mentor Package.

Baz
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

Baz you dont need to do that mate....simply go into the folder "FS9\Addon Scenery\Scenery and you find a list of .bgls. There will be 2 for KNKX, one called MAIW_AF2_KNKX_Retro.bgl and one called MAIW_AF2_KNKX_Default_DK.bgl. Simply move the one called Default_DK into a new folder you can create called "unused" or something to that effect..then FS will only find the one AFCAD for KNKX.

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
baz
Cadet
Cadet

NAS Miramar Top Gun

Post by baz »

Nick,

Thanks will give that a try.

The MAIW_AF2_KNKX_DEFAULT_DK.bgl was as you said in the FS9\Addon Scenery\Scenery folder but the MAIW_AF2_KNKX_Retro.bgl one is in the
MAIW Miramar NAS Scenery folder is this correct ?

There is still MAIW_KNKX_exclude.bgl left in the FS9\Addon\Scenery\Scenery folder is this correct ?

Sorry for the questions, but really appreciate every one's help.

Baz
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Baz,
FS9 won't care what is where, it will use the one with the highest priority. To be safe, remove the default afcad. you can zip it up, rename it to blg, create a folder where it is called UNUSED and move it into there, or delete it.

Any of those things, just make sure that it only finds one knkx afcad file. As for the exclude, if it came with the retro afcad leave it, if it came with the default afcad, take the same action as you did with the default afcad.
Steve
baz
Cadet
Cadet

NAS Miramar Top Gun

Post by baz »

Well bit the bullet & uninstalled the 3 packages & re installed the Top Gun Package first & it workedjust the way it should which was great.

Will re install the Whiting Package next & see how the 2 Packages go before I re install the special Use Mentors Package.

Many thanks Nick, Steve & Mike for your help & suggestions & thanks MAIW for these great packages.

Regards,
Baz
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

No problem.
Steve
clint666
Cadet
Cadet

Miramar Top Gun Package does not work

Post by clint666 »

Hi there,

i installed the NAS Top Gun Pack exe. (several Times).
Added it to the (Add On) Scenery and restarted FS9.
When i want to Start in Miramar, the FS9 load stops at 68% and i have to restart...
Can somebody help me?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Hi clint,
I have had that situation happen to me a few times. Every time it has been due to a scenery conflict.

To prove this, disable the Miramar scenery, make sure that the afcad is still in an active directory and then load. If this doesn't work, then try again after also disabling the afcad.
My guess is that fs9 will load with the scenery disabled and the afcad active.

The problem then is checking to see what it is clashing with. This is the difficult bit. Each set up is different but you need to work out which scenery/mesh is causing the problems.
Start with your scenery.cfg file, back it up safely, then disable all scenery entries apart from the original fs9 ones and the Miramar scenery. Load up fs9. If it works then activate the next scenery as well and load. Keep repeating until you find the problem.

Once you find the problem you will have to choose which one to keep active, if a work around can't be found, and I hope that you don't have hundreds of scenery entries.

Let us know how you get on.
Steve
clint666
Cadet
Cadet

Post by clint666 »

Firebird wrote:Hi clint,
I have had that situation happen to me a few times. Every time it has been due to a scenery conflict.

To prove this, disable the Miramar scenery, make sure that the afcad is still in an active directory and then load. If this doesn't work, then try again after also disabling the afcad.
My guess is that fs9 will load with the scenery disabled and the afcad active.

The problem then is checking to see what it is clashing with. This is the difficult bit. Each set up is different but you need to work out which scenery/mesh is causing the problems.
Start with your scenery.cfg file, back it up safely, then disable all scenery entries apart from the original fs9 ones and the Miramar scenery. Load up fs9. If it works then activate the next scenery as well and load. Keep repeating until you find the problem.

Once you find the problem you will have to choose which one to keep active, if a work around can't be found, and I hope that you don't have hundreds of scenery entries.

Thank You! Sounds a bit difficult-but i´ll try.. :shock:
FCRO
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: NAS Miramar Top Gun package by MAIW

Post by FCRO »

Hello guys

I came to the site to download the NAS miramar topgun package, and I read that it is a retro package.
So, i came up with a couple of questions

1)Is it true??

2) Are there others retro packages??? I might installed one withone knowing...

Both questions are because i like to keep my traffic up to date and i do not want to install a retro traffic.
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

Yes x2.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
FCRO
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by FCRO »

BadPvtDan wrote:Yes x2.
What are the others retro packages??

I know that the F-117 is one...

Thansk
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

What Dan said.

Thinking logically about your specific point. There are two problems. One, the length of time a package takes in production, and two, the release date.
Firstly, a package manager starts forming his package he does so with information available at the time. However it may take up to a year for a pack to get released, so logic dictates that it will be out of date as soon as released. Secondly the longer a pack is out the more likely that a change has taken place.

Strictly speaking a package is always a checkpoint in time. It is up to you to decide your criteria for current and what factors you are willing to discount to consider a package current.
Steve
awj112
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by awj112 »

I have run into a problem with the scenery. Whenever I select the Miramar scenery and try to load FS2004, the simulator locks up at 1% when it starts to load the flight. I have installed it after the special use mentor package. I can't figure out cause. Had it happen with one other scenery package and had to reinstall simulator. I really hope that is not the only fix.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

When you say loading the flight do you mean starting a new one or loading a saved .flt flight?
Steve
awj112
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by awj112 »

Creating a new flight and loading it.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK, after checking my fs loading it seems that the earliest portion of the loading is for scenery objects. So this says to me that either you are missing a library or something is corrupt.

To prove this disable the Miramar scenery but leave the afcad available to the system and try to load. If the system loads fine then something is missing or corrupt from the scenery. I would then re-download and install the scenery.

If you still get the crash then something close to Miramar is causing the problem, maybe you have North Island installed and that has a problem.

Steve
awj112
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by awj112 »

I can confirm that without the scenery objects, the AFCAD loads fine. However, I have the new MCAS AFCAD installed. Another thing I noticed; without the scenery objects, when I select a parking spot the airport is listed as MCAS Miramar/ Mitscher Field. With the scenery objects, the airport is listed as "MCAS Miramar/Mitshcer Rwy6L/ 24R Low Approach.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK firstly the title is due to more than one afcad in the package for the airfield. That is not a problem. Frustrating but not a problem, I get that as well.

Now about the scenery. Now that you have downloaded the scenery again, and re-installed it, and taken out the original afcad - replaced by MCAS one, that the scenery loads?
Steve