Support archive for MAIW Packages in FSX

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
ricktk
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Re: Support for MAIW Packages in FSX

Post by ricktk »

About the biggest issue that I run into in placing the MAIW sceneries is that since they are designed for FS9, the airport in FSX may be placed different, and therefore the airport background will not cover the airport ramps etc. In FSX, the way is to add a exclude general poly, exclude airport backgrounds, and then place a new airport background poly, Flatten Mask Class Map Exclude Autogen over the entire area of the airport. Or alternatively, you might try just placing a new airport background poly, Flatten Mask Class Map Exclude Autogen over the apron areas that are having tree problems.
Rick

"Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check."
chavins

Post by chavins »

hi. i am not sure how to start a new thread, and my question was previously submitted to the maiw packages forum. however, this old thread seems to be very similar to my current issue, so i beg forebearance and hope that someone may be able to help.

i have been trying to install the raf seakings package on a win 7 computer running fsx acceleration. i am using only the aircraft and flight plans from the maiw package (no scenery or afcads). i have converted the flight plans to fsx format. i have not been able to see any sea kings at RAF valley or any of the other sea king base airfields. for the raf valley scenery, i use using tony meredith's scenery, which works very well. i do not think it has a specific independent afcad, but there are around 10 helicopter parking sites available at EGOV and i can place a flyable sea king at selected helicopter parking spaces. (i also have experimented with other egov sceneries, but none of these show the sea kings either. i have not tried using any of the maiw afcads because i try to avoid mixing fs9 and fsx. i have my fsx traffic set to between 60 and 80 % for genrral and commercial aviation. in addition, i have ultimate traffic 2 installed, as well as ftx orbx traffic, and all these other programs give me a large amount of ai planes.

i do not think there is a significant system problem with my fsx as i have many maiw and other ai packages installed at numerous other uk and us airfields, and numerous ai aircraft are visible either parked, taxiing or flying. i have installed 2 other helicopter packages at other airfields. i am almost ready to give up on helicopters (or at least the sea kings) and i hope that someone might have some suggestions.

steve chavin
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Still an active thread, just not many have gone full FSX for MAIW packages yet. Looking over your post seems you have checked the normal issues. I do not have this package installed, but do have the German Navy Sky Pigs and do not have any issues with the stock FSX set up. I am only using the AFCAD and none of the scenery. The only other issue I check is the FS9 to FSX wingspan. I make sure all my AI models are set and have noticed a few changes as far as parking in FSX. I have most heli AI packages and have not had any issues using this method. I can only offer it may have something to do with your other scenery/traffic installed.

Traffic %...check
Conflicting AFD...check
Converted FP's...check

I love helos, so I'll download this package and see what happens.

EDIT: Downloaded and installed. I am running a pretty much unmod'd UK in the sim, with no add-on scenery and only a few MAIW packages install. All bases had at least 1 Sea King on the ramp. Only had a few issues with the included AFD's:

RAF Valley: scenery obj's alignment off, autogen trees on Sea King ramp.
RAF Boulmer: slight elevation issue.
hope that helps with the toubleshooting.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
chavins

Post by chavins »

victory:

thanks for the reply. i am not sure how to deal with the issue of wing span, but there was no problem placing the flyable ukmil sea king on 1 of the helicopter parking areas at egov. i will check out some of the afcads and also see what happens with the german navy sky pigs.

steve chavin
ricktk
Captain
Captain

Post by ricktk »

I am running the RAF Seakings under FSX, and notice that they are based on an overlay airport E1OV at RAF Valley, with an parking radius of 15m. You will have to have that afcad installed to see the helicopters. Not sure if mine matches the one provided by MAIW exactly, as it was modified by myself, I think to accommodate the parking as it relates to the FSX scenery. (I am running FSX Acceleration with Ultimate Terrain, and using Genesis Mesh).

Not sure what you are saying about placing a user helicopter on RAF Valley, as user aircraft can be placed/parked anywhere. The heliport symbols have nothing to do with AI helicopters, you need the overlay airport afcad installed that places parking in the same spot as those heliport symbols.

Rick

"Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check."
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Rick is right, the Seakings at Valley fly from E1OV, not EGOV. You need the overlay AFD file E1OV but be aware that I designed it for use in combination with the included AFD for EGOV so it's quite possible that the helicopter parkings won't match with your addon scenery.

Edit: Or open the flightplans and change E1OV into EGOV and recompile. In this case however, the Seakings will use the main runways at Valley and WILL interfere with the faster moving Hawks in the pattern.
ricktk
Captain
Captain

Post by ricktk »

Well, he is welcome to a copy of the E1OV AFD overlay I am using. I am using the FSX EGOV Valley and EGOQ Mona airfield scenery by Anthony R. Meredith © 2007, which explains why I have modified the E1OV AFD you provided Greg or redid completely myself, not sure, without going back and downloading the package again.
Rick

Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

ricktk wrote:Well, he is welcome to a copy of the E1OV AFD overlay I am using.
Sure! That should do the trick for him.
chavins

Post by chavins »

thanks to everyone for the suggestions. you guys hit the nail on the head. i installed the ev01 overlay from the maiw library and was greeted by my first sea king at raf valley. i noticed, in ricks photo, several choppers, in contrast to my single one. will the number vary from day to day and/or hour to hour, or is rick's modifcation better (?more choppers are better)? if it is available, i would like to try rick's overlay.

previously, i have avoided using maiw airfield scenery, but after this eye opener, i shall be bolder and experiment when i install maiw ai.

steve chavin
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

The number will vary, as you quite rightly figures.
Steve
ricktk
Captain
Captain

Post by ricktk »

Steve,

Well as stated above you are welcome to the E1OV overlay. I made it to match the Meredith scenery of RAF Valley.
The parking spots are the same number and parking markings. Just slightly changed to where the runway is located
to match the FSX scenery.
Attachments
E1OV_ADEX_RTK.BGL
(1.85 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Rick

chavins

Post by chavins »

rick;

many thanks for the modified helicopter overlay bgl. it looks fine in my installation, but still only the single chopper at raf valley. are you using the original maiw traffic.bgl for the seakings? in the event, i can now see the sea kings and this is a major improvement. i also can see other aircraft at someof the previously barren fields, and the other maiww afcads do not appear to have adversely affected the previously visible ai planes.

all in all, a good outcome. thanks to you and everyone else for the various suggestions and comments.

steve
ricktk
Captain
Captain

Post by ricktk »

I have not checked all times, but you will often see two Seakings at RAF Valley, and if you have the MAIW UK Apache package installed from time to time two AH-64's will appear. I did notice a problem with the E1OV AFD, and working to fix it. At least in FSX, it appears the Seakings have trouble on exiting the runway, and hangup. They depart okay. Will let you know.
Rick

Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Still new to FSX and wanted to see if anyone has seen this yet. Testing out SW ANG and checking Sky Harbor (KPHX), planned and flew from Nellis. Get to PHX and noticed the skies are pretty quiet and nothing on the ground. Checked traffic % and varied from my normal 85 up to 100%, still no aircraft on the ramp. Landed and watched a few aircraft land, including the KC-135 I was checking. They all land fine and taking to their respective gates. Closed out FSX, checked for duplicate AFD's, nothing. Restart and start from PHX, still nothing on the ramp vice scenery and airport vehicles. Some type of FSX bug? I am using add-on scenery for Phoenix, but it checks out fine, plenty of parking and all the correct gates, including the AZ ANG ramp. Area AFD's seem fine with a full Luke AFB to the west. I'm leaning toward the AFD???

EDIT: Fixed, one really has to pay attention and not let any traffic.bgl's not converted to FSX in the Scenery/World/Scenery folder. Somehow a quick FP change with AIFP2 caused a traffic.bgl to be corrupt, but all my other traffic.bgl's worked fine.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
KampfHase
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FSX

Post by KampfHase »

Hello,

I have FSX and one big problem with the Bulgarian MIGs: The airport code in FSX is not LB0L but LB21. So when I install your scenery I still have the runway of the default LB21 over your scenery.

Is there a way you can attach files here with changed airport code to LB21, so it overwrites the default one?

Thanks
yamirar
Cadet
Cadet

Post by yamirar »

Hi guys

I was trying to make some changes to the RAF Wattingham AFCAD (MAIW_AFX_EGUW_DEFAULT from the MAIW Army Air Corps WAH-64 Package) but it was impossible to compile the new AFCAD. I got the following error message:

INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2034: XML Parse Fatal Error (line, column, error)

ERROR: 490, 25, Illegal xml character.

INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2430: Unrecoverable error parsing XML!
INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2006: Parse failed (0x80004005)
INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2003: Failed to process file:

I'm flying with FSX and using ADEX to work on the AFCAD.

Does anyone have an idee haw to solve this problem?

Thanks Arjen
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

Post by CelticWarrior »

I think you'd be better off posting this question on the ADE forum on the FSDeveloper site.
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

In terms of error messages it is pretty good

INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2034: XML Parse Fatal Error (line, column, error)
ERROR: 490, 25, Illegal xml character.

Look in line 490 at position 25 and that will show you what the illegal character is. The rest you can probably get from the manual or searching the scruffyduck support forum.
Steve
WB383
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by WB383 »

Hey I jus downloaded NAS Pensacola and all looks great but when I went to NAF El centro for some reason the ground rises over the runway and is at 4 FT elevation when the rest of the airport is at -38.7 Ft, Is there anway I can change that? :cry: :D I looked at it threw ADE and I think its because the runway starts are at a higher elevation than the runway and I tired fixing that but an error msg pops up when I try to compile

-Wil-
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

I put the APxxxx file that came in the download in the Scenery/Namw folder as it would have been in FS9. I had a landclass issue but no elevation issues during testing at El Centro, I did notice the background photoreal file for the airport is reversed, needs to be flipped in order to match the AFCAD. Still working it but got a BSOD (over the Bahamas), so need to figure out what brought that on first.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris