Regular unidentified vistor at the Hall

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Regular unidentified vistor at the Hall

Post by delbydoo »

Came across this over at Fighter Control, it's the Dash 8 pic I'm interested in; apparently it's operated either by or on behalf of the 27th SOW based out of Cannon AFB; Wikipedia says that the wing have distributed aircraft and personnel globally to fight the war on terror. Just wondering if it's a regular-ish visitor or based at Mildenhall.......maybe repaint time....

http://fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 16&t=30247

Cheers
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: Regular unidentified vistor at the Hall

Post by Victory103 »

Pretty sure all based at Cannon AFB, NM, I saw one up at KFCS getting gas (didn't get the tail #). Agree about repaint time, AFSOC have several commercial airframes that could use repaints, see the M-28 thread.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by campbeme »

delbydoo wrote:Came across this over at Fighter Control, it's the Dash 8 pic I'm interested in; apparently it's operated either by or on behalf of the 27th SOW based out of Cannon AFB; Wikipedia says that the wing have distributed aircraft and personnel globally to fight the war on terror. Just wondering if it's a regular-ish visitor or based at Mildenhall.......maybe repaint time....

http://fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 16&t=30247

Cheers
That arrived last week the sameday as the three M28's, then they all went to Ramstien. Only the DHC-8 comeback to the Hall.

Mark
Mark
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Another interesting picture on that thread was the KC with the two pods. I heard that the capability was part of an upgrade but I haven't seen an operational flight.

I was thinking about asking Graham how long it would take to knock up 300+ schemes for the KE-3A model! :lol: Then I thought better of it. :mrgreen:
Steve
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

Firebird wrote: I was thinking about asking Graham how long it would take to knock up 300+ schemes for the KE-3A model! :lol: Then I thought better of it. :mrgreen:
:smt019 But at least they would be GREY...... :smt055
phantomfreak
Major
Major

Post by phantomfreak »

The two pods on the KC-135 are for the MPRS. The multipoint refueling system, been around for about ten years, and I think the French have had it on their's for a few years before that. If you know anyone stationed on a little island in the Med that has an RAF base on it, say around 2003, the Navy and Marines were pretty regularly removing the drogue with their probes. And officially no US aircraft are stationed there.

:smt002
Bazinga!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

phantomfreak wrote:... the Navy and Marines were pretty regularly removing the drogue with their probes.
They should get some bloomin' training then. :D
Steve
phantomfreak
Major
Major

Post by phantomfreak »

I reckon the adrenaline was pumpin' at the time.
Bazinga!
garysted
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by garysted »

Hi Gents,

The 100th ARW at Mildenhall has had one or two '135's with MPRS for years now. I don't know how accurate but I did hear that despite having them - which makes sense considering that the 100th is the tanker unit in the most likely place to use them - the 100th had not got any crews qualified on the fit. That was a while ago, but still years after they recieved MPRS configured '135's.

Gary
Military aviation photography in the UK

My photo website