Carrier Airport

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Re: Carrier Airport

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Look forward to seeing some carrier scenery getting developed... In the meantime here is another teaser of something that will hopefully be here soon...
Attachments
Carrier Skyhawk.JPG
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

The tutorial is completed and just now being proofread a final time. Expect it to be publish today, latest tomorrow.
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

You can get the tutorial in the Tools section. Many thanks to John Young for proofreading it several times and providing valuable input!
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Many thanks will read it to see what I did and didn't know.
Steve
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Being curious… does the tutorial help?

Send from mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

I have read it and in my opinion it is a very well written document. It is particularly well enhanced with the pics that it contains.

I haven't tried following it yet. For two reasons, I don't have P3D and I don't currently have an FS9 carrier that I want to work on.
So what I can't say is what will or won't work with FS9.

All in all a very good document to keep as a reference.
Steve
flyerkg
Major
Major

Post by flyerkg »

I'm very interested in making use of the tutorial and having custom carrier traffic. As an additional characteristic of carrier as an airport I have yet to successfully create AI overhead patterns. Many years back I tried to flight plan AI traffic to waypoints over the destination airfield. The other challenge is getting AI jets to not fly huge box patterns.
geoffj
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by geoffj »

Martin,

How about including under the Tutorials menu?

Geoff
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Hey Martin,

One question I have is on page 9 you mention fixing the blast shield animations on the carriers... Out of curiosity why would one want to do this? Do they have a funny interaction with AI aircraft? It seems like I would want to leave these in place along with the various Cat and Cable attach points for interaction with user aircraft... Thanks!
delta_lima
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by delta_lima »

What a cool development to discover after almost a year away from P3DV4.

Carrier aviation being overwhelmingly what I enjoy in the sim, this topic-and all the recently posted carrier-configured AI - truly excites me.

Just so I understand, though, these carriers are being developed as static, not moving AICarrier type objects, correct?

Thanks again.

DL
Quaere verum - Seek truth
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Hi Delta.

Yes, this concept makes the carriers as static as any airport that is land-based.

The reason I remove the animations on deck is that indeed I have seen them being triggered in exactly the wrong moment.

From mobile hence short

Cheers,
Martin
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

DL, I had some hope with SWS adding AI carrier ops to a moving boat (dev of the Midway, F-4B etc for FSX/P3D) after a teaser was released years ago, but seems they have moved on to fully supporting MSFS with civilian projects. This is still a great way to have Naval Aviation in the sim with the AI looking the part.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
delta_lima
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by delta_lima »

Thanks gents,

I understand now - having both moving AI carriers and flying AI aircraft is still a ways away in this flavour of sims, so I get the tradeoff of one or the other. I wish the devs all the success - a fabulous enhancement.

cheers,

sl
Quaere verum - Seek truth
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

So I am starting to tinker with carrier scenery... and have been frustrated working with this issue... Granted re-reading threads here it would see that it is known... The AI is not following the "rules of the road" and only using one runway (the landing runway) and is taxiing out over the water and blasting off from the departure end (far) of the runway... I have been trying to fix this issue but to no avail (re-arranging taxiways ect.) I found this thread on avsim.com https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/2376 ... d-landing/ specifically the second post by mnmon where it states:

" What I've done since is for busy airports is to designate certain runways as "takeoff" only, or "landing" only. Newark is a great example where I set 4L/22R as takeoff only, and 4R/22L as land only. Really helped with traffic flow. However, be sure and designate BOTH ends of the runway the same way or it won't take effect."

Does anyone know he/she means by "however, be sure and designate BOTH ends of the runway the same way or it won't take effect." ???? Does it mean there is some way to change the runway ends so both ends are 9 as opposed to 9 and 27? or am I supposed to give both runways the same designation runway 9?? or??? Also I see this post references the afcad editor by Lee Swordy which I get the impression is pre-ADE software... Looking at the runway properties menu anytime you designate primary runway numbers it automatically designates secondary ones in the opposite direction with no way to change them...

Also another issue I am experiencing / experimenting with is trying to make anti-pushback nodes so the aircraft will not push back over the side of the deck from parking... But yet P3d seems to be ignoring them and pushing back regardless... I have the parking spots set to none under push back direction...

Thanks!
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Mason, as stated in my tutorial I failed to get a two-runway setup to work, no matter what I tried. Therefore all my examples given are based on a one-runway configuration.

I will look at the files you have send me this weekend regarding the pushback nodes.
Cheers,
Martin
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Thanks Martin! Also a follow up question... I noticed under the runway properties pattern tab... There are four options for takeoff and landing "yes, no, true, and false" is there some reason for redundant options? All the ADE manual says:

"There are four values you can select from under both takeoff and
landing: - Yes - No - True - False.
Note: In FS9/FSX, Yes = True and No = False.
Therefore, if you want to close an end of your runway for takeoffs/landings, you can
select either No or False."

But it does not provide any logic rhyme or reason behind this... Such as something related to coding between the sim versions ect...
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

jetpilot1980 wrote: 15 Mar 2024, 12:54 So I am starting to tinker with carrier scenery... and have been frustrated working with this issue... Granted re-reading threads here it would see that it is known... The AI is not following the "rules of the road" and only using one runway (the landing runway) and is taxiing out over the water and blasting off from the departure end (far) of the runway... I have been trying to fix this issue but to no avail (re-arranging taxiways ect.) I found this thread on avsim.com https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/2376 ... d-landing/ specifically the second post by mnmon where it states:

" What I've done since is for busy airports is to designate certain runways as "takeoff" only, or "landing" only. Newark is a great example where I set 4L/22R as takeoff only, and 4R/22L as land only. Really helped with traffic flow. However, be sure and designate BOTH ends of the runway the same way or it won't take effect."

Does anyone know he/she means by "however, be sure and designate BOTH ends of the runway the same way or it won't take effect." ???? Does it mean there is some way to change the runway ends so both ends are 9 as opposed to 9 and 27? or am I supposed to give both runways the same designation runway 9?? or??? Also I see this post references the afcad editor by Lee Swordy which I get the impression is pre-ADE software... Looking at the runway properties menu anytime you designate primary runway numbers it automatically designates secondary ones in the opposite direction with no way to change them...

Also another issue I am experiencing / experimenting with is trying to make anti-pushback nodes so the aircraft will not push back over the side of the deck from parking... But yet P3d seems to be ignoring them and pushing back regardless... I have the parking spots set to none under push back direction...

Thanks!
I don't play with the carrier stuff, but it's very easy to designate the runways as the author states (this is Newark, as the author uses as an example):

Runway designated for landing but not takeoff in BOTH directions

Runway designated for takeoff but not landing in BOTH directions
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Mason, I will send you one of my carriers later today.

Send from mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

TimC340 wrote: 15 Mar 2024, 16:32
I don't play with the carrier stuff, but it's very easy to designate the runways as the author states (this is Newark, as the author uses as an example):
I had been tinkering with those menus...

So I tried a few options...

1. Just designating takeoff on one runway (cat runway) in one direction; and landing on the other runway in one direction...

2. Designating takeoff in both directions on the "cat runway" and landing in both directions on the "landing runway"

3. Using True / False as options as opposed to yes / no...

Bottom line no matter what I put into those boxes AI does not comply.... It completely ignores the takeoff runway, and takes off from the wrong end of the landing runway... and still lands on the landing runway... but the correct end of it at least... Bottom line it seems AI doesn't want to follow directions in terms of how to takeoff anyway...

Not to mention the anti-pushback noding I created is completely ignored...
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

I had a long discussion with Steve about this while writing the tutorial. We believe that this could be a cause of the two runways being just too close to each other to make the setup stick for the sim. I gave up after weeks of trying to make two runways work.

This does not mean you might not figure it out, but I fear nobody is able to give you an answer how to do this.

And I will have a look at the pushback because this can be avoided for sure.
Cheers,
Martin