The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Could be trouble at the mill again!

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Could be trouble at the mill again!

Post by Firebird »

No wonder they moaned like b*ggery when we sent the FGR4s down there.

Maybe the USMC will loan us one of their carriers just like last time.
Steve
TonkaRepairMan

Post by TonkaRepairMan »

Undermanned :cry: , overstretched :( , old ships and aircraft :cry: , poor technical support/supply :cry: and a government with no spine, hell bent on further cost cutting :cry: ...............what better time to strike at the UK !
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Shoot, we don't have anything to spare these days ourselves...
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
maddog65
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by maddog65 »

I just recently read Ghost Force by Patrick Robinson, here is an excerpt from the book.
"The year is 2011, and Russia is poised to help Argentina blast its way into the Falkland Islands, to hurl the ruling British out of the South Atlantic forever. Enraged at this act of international piracy, Great Britain dispatches a battle fleet to the islands for the second time in thirty years. "
This book was pretty acurate with the state of the British military and going to war again.

Les
Les
Major

Post by sprocky »

Do you think the Argie leaders read the book? :lol:
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
maddog65
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by maddog65 »

If they did, then they must have skipped the part where they got their a$$ kicked again. In the book the Royal Navy took a lot of hits. If I remember right they lost their carrier.

Another book that just came out and I finished reading was The Disciple by Stephen Coonts. This book deals with Iran and its latest ambition (The Bomb). Even though it is a work of fiction it at least to me seems very plausible.

Quick synopsis
Iran is much closer to having operational nuclear weapons than the CIA believes, and Iran’s president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, has a plan. With twelve nuclear warheads mounted on twelve missiles, he will make Iran a martyr nation; then he will lead the world’s Muslims in a holy war against the nonbelievers.
However, the Americans have a secret weapon in a group of Iranian dissidents, including a brother and sister determined to avenge the death of their beloved grandfather at the hands of the religious police. They are funneling information to Tommy Carmellini. They want to stop the attack before their leader launches a new world war. Will the U.S. government believe the information they are providing, and can the Americans prevent the Israelis from taking matters into their own hands, which could prove disastrous?

Les
Les

Post by aerogator »

Two great authors of the military genre. I've got to pick them up. :)
TonkaRepairMan

Post by TonkaRepairMan »

I have read most of Patrick Robinsons books and I have always been very impressed. Although they are fiction, they are very close to real life and leave you thinking "s**t, that could really happen".

I have just finnished reading Four weeks in May by David Hart Dyke. Its about the loss of HMS Coventry and well worth reading.

http://www.hmscoventry.co.uk/fourweeksinmay.php
maddog65
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by maddog65 »

I'll have to put that on my list...
Currently reading a Patrick Robinson book called To the death. I am sure it will be as good as the others.
Les
Major

Post by sprocky »

maddog65 wrote:If they did, then they must have skipped the part where they got their a$$ kicked again.
Maybe they have not got that far yet. :lol:
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FSX

Post by Garysb »

TonkaRepairMan wrote:I have read most of Patrick Robinsons books and I have always been very impressed. Although they are fiction, they are very close to real life and leave you thinking "s**t, that could really happen".

I have just finnished reading Four weeks in May by David Hart Dyke. Its about the loss of HMS Coventry and well worth reading.

http://www.hmscoventry.co.uk/fourweeksinmay.php

I just picked that up for £2 in wilkinsons (hardback as well)

Gary
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
TonkaRepairMan

Post by TonkaRepairMan »

Great spot, you wont be disappointed.
If you are the resident bargain hunter, I will have to give you a shopping list :)